LCD Mounting - Hide wires?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by scrapbook, Oct 23, 2004.

1. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +553
    Just looking to mount a LCD TV on the wall, whats the best way of hiding the wires comes up from the DVD player etc?

I have plasterboard walls attached to wooden joists fixed to brick walls. I was contemplating cutting a small circula hatch door in the plasterboard behind, dropping the wires down to the a lower level hatch door.

anyone else done something similar or have other examples of what they have done?

2. thedoc

thedoc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have dob & dab construction walls, in other words there is an air gap approx 10mm deep between outer wall & plasterboard and have done similar to what you suggest.

Another neat trick I have seen is to mount a single gang electrical back box (in your case a dry wall electrical back box needed) behind the screen (so it will be hidden) and another one behind your player. You then pass your wires between each box and finish off by taking a blanking plate and putting holes in place just big enough for your wires to come through. This allows you easy access if you need to change leads in future, and looks neat.

I have also seen someone stick that cheap plastic trunking from B&Q on their wall, so no holes made, and wires ducted inside. Then fitted a piece of curtain down the whole length of the wall to mask the cables. Looked quite designer, surprisingly.