1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LCD motion blur

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by relaxed, Feb 14, 2005.

1. relaxed

relaxed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I need to replace my ageing CRT and obviously want to be as future proof as possible. Being a HIFI 'nut' I only trust what 'I' see so I have been looking at as many LCDs as possible. This excellant forum has sent me searching for different models. My observations just for interest.

Sony KLV series............great colours excellent edge definition and fine detail however contrast is very iffy blacks seem not to exist also WEGA engine seems to flatten the picture from poor sources, the cricket on Sky seemed to be played on carpet not grass very strange?

Sharp GD............Fantastic picture looks like you could walk into the screen pictures really do have a crystal quality...until there is fast motion the rugby really looked awful lots of blocking real shame...

Philips... Not reliable in my expeirence nice sets though

Hitachi... Loots of motion artifacts on TV sources same with the LG and Samsungs.

The panasonic and newer JVC coped with motion but neither of these are HD compliant.

In summation I cannot find a new TV......are the LOEWE A series any good

2. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    Theres really not much you can do at the moment. All newer technologies have their flaws.

LCDs suffer from a number of problems. Pixel death, motion blurring or ghosting, low response time and so forth.

Plasmas dont suffer pixel death, low response time or blurring but they do suffer from picture burning and maybe high power consumption. Also lower contrast levels due to the protective film they have bult in to avoid "death by plasma gas" incase of a panel being broken.

There are benefits to these new technologies.
    Bigger sizes and higher resolutions such as the newest Sharp 45 LCD which supports full High defintion specs (1920X1080).

There are some new technologies in the works such as razor thin OLED and PLED displays which dont suffer from any of the problems LCDs and Plasmas suffer from but have a short life span problem.

I think there is another product in development like the one Toshiba is working on (cant remember its name) which also looks promising.

Bottom line is, wait or get one of the newer LCDs or Plasmas that are just out now or are coming soon. They are getting better and better with each model.

3. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    A number of the artifacts that you mention are also a problem with plasma. Carpet grass, lots of blocking. The problem with carpet grass is normally cured by turning off DNR (nise reduction), lots of blocking is the quality of the feed and how the set responds to this. It is often cured by correctly adjusting the picture controls and not leaving them at factory setting. Contrast, brightness and sharpness are the ones to tweak for that. Factory settings are often way out of adjustment.

4. Black Custard

Black Custard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would have said that the blocking here was more associated with the source, and as the Sharp has cracking picture definition, it just shows up the bad quality picture often associated with low quality Mpeg transmission.

You can't really blame the set for this, but I understand that it is annoying ;)

5. LcdGuru

LcdGuru

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is this true? I though it was Xenon or some harmless inert gas - in any case not enough of it to cause a problem.

I remember seeing the following saftey notice in an early Sharp LCD manual:

"If the glass breaks do not drink or sip the liquid".

Ahhh.. can't I even have a sip! :(

6. relaxed

relaxed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I saw the LOEWE Xelos 32 in action today............Very impressed in fact so impressed that I have ordered one. Really not sure if I have done the right thing as I think some of the posts suggesting its best to wait for the next generation panels are right. I really had no choice as my CRT was doing strange things.

Will post an unbiased reveiw of the Xelos when it arrives in the shop though it looked good!

7. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    Make sure this panel you are buying is HD ready!

If its not you will need a new TV in a couple of years!

All you need to do is check the resolution and make sure it has an HDCP ready DVi or HDMI input so you can conect future technologies such as Blu Ray and HD DVD as well as hi def TV boxes such as the sky HDTV set top boxes.

8. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    AML, it will be fine. That and the Spheros are probably the most complete TV's in respect to what input resolutions they will allow. Basically, you can throw anything at them and they will lock on.