1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LCD Monitor

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Skiny, Nov 29, 2004.

1. Skiny

Skiny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How come a 30/32" LCD monitor, costs so much more than an LCD TV of the same size (and same resolution)?

I only want a 32" display to watch movies from my HTPC on, yet LCDs with built in tuners and stuff cost much less.

2. APC

APC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good question.

My view is that it is about supply, demand and volume. The market for large PC-only panels is smaller than the market for TVs. The big manufacturers will therefore invest in production techniques that bring down manufacturing costs to create economies of scale. High sales volume will also encourage competition in their supply chains - i.e. among the electronics companies that produce the bits that go into the sets, which will in turn bring down those prices.

3. Skiny

Skiny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ah yea. Never thought of that heh :)

4. liteswap

liteswap
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Not just volumes: monitors have to be way more accurate than TVs, since you look at a monitor from 18 inches away, and will view it for hours on end, reading text and the like. Compared to watching TV, that calls more a much higher order of accuracy.

5. Skiny

Skiny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not a low res monitor that I'm after. They both have the same amount of pixels so there would be very (if any) difference.