1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LCD Monitor - TV from Video quickie !!

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by foxmeister, Oct 31, 2003.

1. foxmeister

foxmeister

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am wanting to buy an LCD TV + Video for occasional use in my bedroom.
    My quick question is if I buy a cheaper LCD monitor (without TV tuner built in ) and connect the video recorder (aerial lead into the back of the video) I appreciate my video will have to be switched on at all times but will TV channels be displayed on the monitor ????
    Thanks alot for your help .....

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Nope.

LCD monitors (by which I presume you mean, those designed for PC use) do not have the necessary circuits inside to 'scale' an incoming video signal to fit the LCD array. They are intended to be driven by a PC video card which creates the pixel map before the signal leaves the PC. Video signals are very different to PC signals.

You can buy little boxes that will alter a video signal to a PC-style signal. There are threads on here about doing exactly that (look for 'Cheap & nasty bedroom TV' or similar). But the savings are not that huge with rapidly falling prices of 15 inch LCD TVs. Added to the convenience of a 1-box, 1-remote solution, I'd suggest you'd be as well buying a cheapish LCD TV.