1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LCD monitor + tuner instead of LCD TV?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by boltoa, Feb 20, 2003.

1. boltoa

boltoa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    I've done a search and this has come up once or twice before, but not answering this specifically...

The cheapest 15" LCD TV I can find is approx £600. But I can get a nice looking Samsung 15" monitor with speakers from Scan for £205 (IM15BB), plus a ProV for £100 that does tuner/prog scan/line doubler/VGA conversion (to 800x600 res). Any reason not to got this way? Is there a difference between LCD TV specs and regular LCD monitors? Refresh/brightness, etc? This is just to replace an aging Sony 14" CRT we use in the kitchen.

Seems like a bargain to me - are there any downsides? Speakers on this monitor are probably not up to much, but I don't really care for this application. Just want something that takes up less space and looks better.

Andrew

2. cadmeister

cadmeister
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey Andrew,

I came to the same conclusion especially as I have a PC in the kitchen already with a good CTX LCD display. I haven't made the jump yet purely because it's still in the household debate stage (we already have a kitchen 14" TV and she doesn't understand why it would be so much .....cooler to have an LCD one instead) , but I'd be interested in hearing of your experiences.

3. UVII

UVII

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Monitors have a lot slower pixel die time. You would get a lot of smear running TV through it. I've tried on my Eizo.

4. boltoa

boltoa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    That's kind of what I thought, but then how do they make LCD TVs work any quicker?

The Samsung one on Scan has a spec response time of 5ms up and 20ms down. I reckon this will be adequate on a 15" screen. From what little spec I can find on genuine LCD TVs, they are not much different to this. Contrast and brightness are slightly worse on this monitor compared to some others, but then it only costs 200 quid, so I'm going to try living with it.

I'll probably give it a go. I haven't had any retail therapy for a while :).

Andrew

5. cadmeister

cadmeister
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think that's a wee bit of a generalisation. I've run TV on my CTX LCD through an ATI all-in-one and the response was fine. Unfortunately the PQ wasn't that great but that was the ATI card not the monitor (it was the same on a CRT display). Response time will vary from display to display - check the reviews on Tom's Hardware.

6. KevinWood

KevinWood
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I took the plunge and bought a 17" LCD (with Wall Bracket) and the ProV from AV-Sales a month ago.

Having now hung it on the wall I can say that the PQ isn't outstanding, but certainly good enough for Bedtime viewing. As for Cool factor...it certainly has it!

7. boltoa

boltoa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    Going to order it today. PQ on a 15" at a fairly good distance (at least 6') should be no worse than current 14" portable. Only concern is with viewing angles as we sit either end of a table in the kitchen. I'll let you all know if it works out. Strike a blow for the ripped off consumer :).

Andrew

8. daren jackson

daren jackson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Done this myself using an 18" LG monitor connected to a PC with a TV card (located in another room). As the wall was a partition wall the TV was "sunk" into the wall so that it was flush.

Attached Files:

9. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,078
    LG RX15LA31 at Dixons for GBP499. Can also be used as a PC monitor. Looks reasonable on analog, looks very good with Freeview, looks pretty dire on free channels on Sky.

10. boltoa

boltoa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    Scan have just (today!) reduced the price of their ProV by nearly a tenner, so total I've paid including carriage is £310. Nice.

Andrew

11. gileso

gileso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Or how about this for £275 incl. VAT?click here

12. boltoa

boltoa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    Nice that it is widescreen, but no speakers or tuner, so you'd have to add on at least another £100 for that pair.

The monitor I've ordered from Scan is on back order. They expect delivery mid-week :(. Oh well.

Andrew

13. gileso

gileso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guess so. Now found it for £255 incl. VAT. As it has s-video & composite inputs, a cheapo VCR will do for a tuner. A set of pc-based active speakers will do for sound.

So: £255 plus £60 for video (Sainsburys/Tescos ?) and £30 for speakers..£345...still more expensive. But it is widescreen and has a 3-yr warranty and will play videos.

Hmmm. Still thinking. Wife is sold on idea after visiting John Lewis' in High Wycombe - looking at kitchens! They had one kitchen layout with a Philips LCD tv on the wall, which she thought was cute.

Let us know how your purchases from Scan work out

14. boltoa

boltoa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    Noticed Scan have got that widescreen 15" monitor for £253 inc VAT on today only page.

Personally, even though it is widescreen, I prefer the looks of mine and don't have to worry about separate speakers.

Still waiting for mine to be in stock.

Andrew

15. boltoa

boltoa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    This was all finally delivered on Friday, and setup on Saturday. I blame couriers, rather than Scan :).

Anyway, picture looked terrible until I connected up a DVD player and calibrated it using THX optimiser on the SW:AOTC DVD. Changed Contrast, Brightness, Sharpness on the Picture menu of the ProV and it ended up looking pretty good. Can't do Hue or Saturation without the special blue THX glasses, but colours appear to be ok, so I'll leave those for the moment.

Picture is pretty good. Terrestrial channels actually better than Sky, which has quite a bit of dot crawl (this is through distributed, and amplified, RF out with TV Link from box in main TV room). Still, fine for watching in the kitchen.

Sound is pretty terrible. I wasn't expecting much from the built-in speakers on the monitor, but it's unacceptable even by the low standards I was expecting. Very tinny indeed, and strains mightily at highish volumes required when kitchen extractor fan is running full blast. I'll probably invest in some fairly cheap stereo or 2.1 computer speakers. Probably would have been best to buy monitor without speakers in the first place, but I hope this is good advice for anyone going this route.

Monitor refresh rate worries are pretty unfounded. I watched some football on both terrestrial and Sky, and picture smearing was no worse than I get on the plasma, and again, perfectly acceptable for a 15" kitchen TV.

It looks very good and obviously frees up a considerable amount of worktop space. Wires not so fantastic, obviously more than a dedicated LCD TV would have, but still ok. The monitor itself has a silver/black surround, which is much more stylish looking than computer beige, so happy with that.

Conclusions - don't be afraid to go for this option if you want an LCD TV without paying £600. Only caveat would be to suggest you go for separate speakers.

If anybody is interested, I'll try to remember to take a photo of it and post it up.

The ProV remote is very cheap looking. Unfortunately I doubt you can code the Sky remote to send volume commands to the ProV, as I could with the old Sony portable. Given we almost always watch the Sky channel, the only buttons I use on the ProV remote with any frequency will be on/off and volume. I leave the monitor switched on, and it just goes into standby mode when ProV is switched off and sending no signal (as all modern monitors will do).

Andrew

16. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    COme on then lets have some piccies mate I am really interested in doing this. Price of LCD TV is too high! A small FV box like the happauge would be perfect i think there is even one tht outputs VGA!!!:)

17. Bassbin

Bassbin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    I went for the Kiss Coolview monitor (see the link on the previous page) paid £256 for it from Monitor Warehouse (price match against Scan). Not installed it properly yet but will get round to it in the next few weeks. Last week I also picked up a Sony CMT-M90DVD Micro system from Currys for £159 (rrp £350) which has S-video out. I'd already got a spare nicam VCR but if you haven't then they're only £70-£80.

So a complete bedroom system with LCD screen, dvd, tape, radio, timer and vcr comes to the grand total of £485 which is just about what the cheapest 15" LCD TVs are - I know which option I prefer.

Next I'm keeping an eye out for some flatter speakers the pair that came with the Sony are OK for what they are but far too deep to wall mount.