1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LCD monitor screen resolution using DVI

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by Dave Taylor, Jun 22, 2003.

1. Dave Taylor

Dave Taylor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I understand that LCD Flat screen monitors work best at there native resolution.

That seems to be 1024 x 768 for 15 inch and 1280 x 1024 for 17 inch. If you set the resolution to anything else the screen looks poor.

Does the same apply for DVI monitors connected to a DVI graphics card?

I realise that the monitor have the same pixel arrangement but I wondered if the image was built up differently in the graphics card.

The reason I ask is that I want a 17inch monitor but I want to run it at 1024 x 768

Regards

2. CENSORED

CENSORED

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In my experience, native resolution is only an issue with the desktop where you need the crispness and clarity of the native res to stop your eyes from bleeding and your brain imploding from migraine. For games there is an obvious difference between the two but not as much as you might think, and certainly not as much as a comparison with the desktop would suggest.

I have an Iiyama AS4431D (17.4") as my regular monitor and I have to use the native 1280 x 1024 res for all desktop work. When running Unreal 2 I had to turn everything down to 1024 x 768 x 16 to get a decent framerate. A CPU and mobo upgrade later sorted a few things out but at the time I was quite happy with 1024 x 768.

3. Dave Taylor

Dave Taylor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Mainly need it for desktop, that is why I was wondering if a DVI LCD and a DVI Graphics card gives you a good desktop at any res

4. CENSORED

CENSORED

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As far as I am aware it won't make any difference if you use DVI, it certainly doesn't on my setup, regardless of what graphics card you have. I have used the DVI output from my GeForce3 and couldn't see that much of a difference. As the last component in the signal chain the limitation will always be your monitor. Refresh rates are not reckoned to make any difference to LCD but I can tell you for a fact that all resolutions look better when switching from, say 60Hz, to 75Hz on my monitor, but not enough to come even remotely close to the native res.