1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LCD monitor resoltion question

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by HMHB, Jul 25, 2003.

1. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,886
    Does a 17" LCD monitor have to run at 1280 x 1024 ? All the 17" ones quote this and the 15" ones are 1024 x 768. The problem is I like to run my 19" CRT monitors at 1024 x 768 and I would want to be forced to run in a higher resolution

2. Lux

Lux
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    well the ones we have here at work are 17" LCD and if you chose 1024*768 then the fonts have annoying shadows and the whole look is a bit messed up (no sharp pictuire etc)
    only way of running them is by using 1280*1024
    HTH

3. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You don't want to use a resoultion lower than the native LCD screen.. it looks awful. The best picture quality is at the native rez.

If I set my two laptops to a lower res (native is 1025x768)

See pic is a example, top is native, bottom is lower rez.

It could look like that, or more blocky (not anti-aliased), depending on the scaler.

Attached Files:

4. Bursar

Bursar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    The other option is that you'll end up with a black border around the outside of the screen, and you'll have your selected resolution in the middle of it.

This keeps everything in proportion, but you end up not using a large chunk of the screen.

As already said, you really need to run them at their native res. The best compromise might be to turn on the 'Large Icons' and 'Large Text' features of Windows.

5. gab2001uk

gab2001uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I have a 17" AOC which has a native resolution of 1280 X 1024, and I often run it at lower resolutions with no problems. My children have 15" models and run Win95 640X480 games with full screen coverage.

6. Lux

Lux
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Nathan that's exactly what our screen here looked like.
    not only does it look horrible but it also gives u a headache.
    gab2001uk, how come you don't get that problem then?

7. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,886
    What are the 17" LCDs like at 1280 X 1024 ? Are they easy to read at normal viewing distance ?

8. Bursar

Bursar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    I have a 17" AOC at home as well. Native res is 1280x1024, and I find it perfectly usable. I also ran at that res on a 17" CRT monitor and found that was OK as well.

I also game at that resolution and everything is fine.

Only minor thing is that I like to slouch back in my chair when I'm watching TV on the PC, and the screen loses some of it's brightness. When I'm sitting properly it's perfect.

Are there any shops near you that sell a selection of LCD screens? If so, you might find it worthwhile to go and demo a few different screens and see what you think to them. You can also check what happens when you run them at a resolution other than native.

9. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,886
    I think you right. I need to go into a shop an actually see for myself wether I can work in that resolution. My problem is that as a programmer I have to work with a lot of textual code and at the higher resolutions it can "do your head in" !

10. gab2001uk

gab2001uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Nathan how did you get your images to show the difference?

I just went through a series of resolutions on my laptop from 1400 X 1050 to 800 X 600, all perfectly viewable, but when using PrtSc to save the results, they all looked the same!

I had none of the awful looking text you show above.

11. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Print Screen button, paste into a Photoshop window, decrease resolution, then copy & paste to a new window... increase resolution to before.. so basically just loosing overall PQ.

Probably not exactly what's happening on-screen, but the pic result looks similar (compared to native rez)

I guess blurring would be a similar effect- but it'll still look OK, at the same rez.

You could always use a digital camera, take a snapshot.

12. fancyabrew

fancyabrew

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    We have had a big push to LCD monitors here at work. I get fed up at explaining to users that a 15" TFT is the same as a 17" CRT monitor and that if they want a 17" TFT (because they have 17" CRTs) the text will look smaller because of the higher resolution. Bloody users

13. MikeTV

MikeTV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +843
    Like you, I have a LCD screen (on a laptop) that I like to run at 1024x768 - because everything is readable (size-wise) at that resolution. But it is not optimum, because my native resolution is 1400x1050 pixels, and as mentioned, you do get scaling artefacts if you run at something other than the native resolution.

So after running at 1024x768 for over a year, I found a setting in my display properties to set the DPI (dots per inch). So now I run at 150% DPI, at 1400x1050, and everything is in perfect proportion, and the fonts look very sharp and well defined - as good as I have ever seen on any display. It is far more like looking a printed material - and the best thing is that the text is at the size I want.

I have a radeon mobility graphics card, but I suspect it is similar for other cards. For me the setting is in Control Panel->Display Properties->Settings->Advanced. This brings up the ATI control panel, and then I just choose a DPI setting (in my case, I chose 150%/144 DPI as the setting).

Another setting I use is: Control Panel->Display Properties->Appearance->Effects->"Use the following method to smooth edges of screen fonts"->ClearType.

I also use "Large Icons".

The only drawback is that there is only a few settings for the DPI - ideally I want to set a DPI to 137% - but I had to choose 150% instead. Still, it is better than scaling 1024x768.

14. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,886
    Now that sounds like it could be a good solution. I'll nip into pcworld and have a play with a few screens and settings - if they will let me !

15. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just tried the Cleartype setting- makes everthing all blurred, looks much better in standard mode.

I haven't found a option on DPI setting though.

16. MikeTV

MikeTV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +843
  17. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :eek: :eek: :eek:

I don't know how you can say the paragraph at the bottom of the page is sharp.. just looking at it for 20 seconds is doing my eyes in!

18. MikeTV

MikeTV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +843
    I've updated the page with a zoomed-in image - so one can see what's happening close-up.

Firstly, what resolution are you using - you should be using higher than 1400x1050 (because my DPI is 144)? In other words, the last image doesn't look that "big" on my screen, because of my DPI - it looks the same size as the first two (roughly). Secondly, the goal isn't sharpness, because with sharpness you get jaggies (unless you have font smoothing applied). The goal is roundness - because fonts should look round. Lastly though, your display could be different to mine, and so may your eyes - you may even be closer to the screen! - everyone will have their own tolerances and preferences. It's just an option to try.

19. rct

rct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
  20. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,886
    Mike - thanks for taking the time to demonstrate this. I think this means that I should be able to find some way of using a 17" LCD for programming as well as for games.

21. MikeTV

MikeTV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +843
    JohnG - Well, thanks for asking the question! - otherwise I would never have made the discovery myself, and would have continued to use my laptop at 1024x768. I had often wondered if it was worth spending more money on extra pixels - and now I understand why.

As a postscript, I have settled on a DPI of 120 (not 144). Fonts are slightly smaller than at 1024x768, but clearer now, and the extra screen real estate is useful.

Visual Studio (and most other windows apps) works well with the font/resolution settings. There's an added bonus that (because of the higher resolution) the graphics on web pages are generally smaller - including the flashing banner ads! Regular graphics are not being scaled any more, and so they look better, and occupy less screen space. The downside is that some websites explicitly set the font size (such as the BBC) - and this is typically too small to read comfortably. But IE lets you ignore font sizes on web pages. Still, it is not a perfect solution.

Mike.