1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

lcd monitor purchase

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by fuzzn, Jun 2, 2005.

1. fuzzn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    hi people i'm new to this forum... ok now down to the topic!

i'm looking to purchase a couple of lcd monitors for my pc at home... i know what kind of specs i want but i'm having trouble finding specific items and also finding decent reviews of them.

i'm looking for a well priced (under 150 pounds) monitor with a maximum resolution higher than 1024 x 768... i usually work on an CRT LG 17" monitor at 1280 x 1024 resolution so i'm looking for something that can handle a similar resolution or better. the look and feel of the monitor isn't really necessary but would be a plus point!

please if you have any recommendations of good and low priced monitors that has decent graphics output and nice resolution then i would really appreciate it.

btw i'm running a GeForce4 MX440 graphics card because i'm a serious gamer so i need the monitor to do justice to the card!

thanx in advance...

2. Da_Rude_Baboon

Jan 12, 2005
    Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Thats a bit of a contradiction. :D

The majority of 17" LCD monitors have a native res of 1280x1024 so you shouldnt have any worries there. Bear in mind that LCD monitors can look pretty horrible when they are not in their native res. For games response time is king and as a rule you need to look for 16ms or less. The lower the better. Contrast ratio's for monitors in your price range with a low response times will be pretty low so you may find the image a bit flat after using a CRT.

I recently purchased an Iiyama Prolite E435S which is great for games but the contrast takes a bit of getting used to after my CRT. It has a 10ms response time but Iiyama do a cheaper one at 8ms which is nearer your price range. I would suggest you go down to PC World or somewhere similar and have a look at some LCDs before you purchase one.