1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LCD Monitor problem

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Salakala, Aug 13, 2005.

1. Salakala

Salakala

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi!
    I have a problem with the LCD screen on my laptop. When I turn the laptop on or when I look at a dark blank screen I can see a slightly gray cross over the whole screen. It's very faint. It's shows better looking at an angle.
    It looks as if the screen was made up 4 square boxes. Does anyone know what might cause this on a LCD. It seems to be a physical defect because when I turn it on it's right there. (not depending on drivers I think!)
    Anyone?

2. mattg

mattg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +569
    see if you can connect a second monitor to it. If it appears on both then it is gfx card problem, if it only appears on your laptop monitor then it could be a problem with your monitor.
    Another quick test is to do a get a screenshot of your desktop and paste it into a bmp. If the greyness appears in the image it is likely to be gfx card, if not then monitor again.
    Hope this helps Matt.

How old is the laptop and what make and model is it? try a quick google with the problem you are having. It may be a known problem with your particular model.

3. Salakala

Salakala

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The laptop is a Elitegroup B532. 14" It has a XGI gfx card. I did google it, but nothing like that showed up. It's a uncommon laptop :(

4. mattg

mattg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +569
    try the www.whatlaptop.co.uk forum. They have a lot of qualified people over there that would be more able to help.
    Have you tried any of things i mentioned before?

is the screen still in warranty? can you get into contact with your supplier?

I can't really help to much, sorry chappy,

5. helpneeded

helpneeded

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just a wee thought....

Do you have a computer shop locally you can take it into?

They may be able to give you advice as to whether this is a screen or graphics card fault.

The other thing is, can you see the marks when the laptop is off?? There are also some facilities on certain laptops to turn the screen off while the laptop is on, if you can do this, can you still see the marks?

If you can't, might be worth trying to update the drivers, and as in the previous posts, try an external monitor.

Unfortunately, if your comp is outta warrenty, and its a hardware fault, you probably find its more expensive to replace the screen than it is the whole laptop.

One final thought (sorry if I'm bombarding you here), if you have access to the connections from the laptop base to the screen, you might wanna see if there is a cable pinching, or if it is loose, i.e. a dry joint. If this is the case, a repair might be more simple and less costly.

If in any doubt, seek help from a computer shop, as they should know what to do!!

Good luck! :smashin:

6. Salakala

Salakala

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your input guys. I tried the screen capture thingie and the cross does not show on it- so I think it's a physical fault. I think there's probably a cross shaped line on the inside of the lid to strenghten it and the screen is pressed against it too hard. The laptop is new. And the screen was already replaced once-or so they said(same problem). After the service it got a little fainter. The guys at the warranty repair said they did not see a cross, but replaced the lcd anyway (yeah right!). I'm going to take it back to the shop today, I just wanted a second opinion ;). There were also some other problems with the darn thing I had to solve myself (like the noisy Hitachi HDD, and the crappy Intel2200BG WiFi card drivers). Cheapo laptop... so they are not to keen on helping me I think. I hope it's so, the other option is that they don't know how to solve the problems...