• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

LCD monitor or LCD TV?

Y.M.S

Established Member
First off, sorry if this is in the wrong section of the forum.

Basically to cut the story short, I have moved out for university this year. I have everything at home, e.g. tv, ps3, pc etc etc. Tbh what i need is a monitor mainly for playing ps3 but it needs to be a good size 24" above, hdmi input for around £150 max for a monitor or around £300 for a 32" 720p lcd tv. If i get a monitor, the only thing missing will be speakers.

I will be using it mostly for ps3 whenever I can so I want to prevent my self spending uneccessary money which I will eventually have to pay back!!

What do you think are my best options?

Thank you. :)

fhpt

Established Member
It would depend on whether you will be using it on the PC a lot and what size you think you can live with.

If it was me, if it was for PC usage as well, I'd either just go for a 24" monitor, or if I wanted bigger, I'd pay a little extra and stretch to a 32" 1080p TV. There are a few to choose from at around the £350 - £400 mark.

Of course, if you're only using it for the PS3, then just go for a 32" 720p.

Y.M.S

Established Member
Thanks fhpt for your reply. Thing is, if I buy a 32" lcd tv I would most definately want to play my blu rays on it too! I know some of these 720p and 1080p 32" lcd's are going for a very tempting price as well! I've heard different things though about 1080p only presenting a true 1080p image from around a 47" + screen, so would it be worth another £50 to get a 1080p set?

Thanks. :thumbsup:

fhpt

Established Member
It certainly would be worthwhile if using your PC on it, as you would be able to run at 1920x1080 resolution, rather than 1366x768, which makes a big difference, allowing you to fit more on the screen.

You probably wouldn't notice the difference, if only watching movies on it.

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom