1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LCD monitor (not tv) for DVD and no tv licence

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by mariot, Apr 2, 2005.

1. mariot

mariot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is it possible to connect an LCD - TFT type monoitor to a DVD player and therefore do away with the need for a tv licence.

What connector-types would be needed on the monitor to enable it to be connected to a DVD player?

2. Binternet

Binternet
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    You only need a TV licence if you use the tuner, if you buy an LCD TV with a tuner just dont plug in the aerial and you will be fine. If the TV licence people come round just tell them where to stick it as what you are doing is 100% legal.

3. SeanT

SeanT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +371
    I think you'll find you can get screwed if you have any equipment capable of receiving an RF TV signal, including a TV card (although they will have trouble proving this one)
    As students though we used to get letters every term in halls, but as we could refuse to let them in to the building it wasn't really an issue!!!

4. mariot

mariot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yes chaps I'd prefer to play it safe abd not tussle with the beeb, hence my desire to make my AV equipment just a DVD player and, if possible a LCD monitor only -- anyone who has achieved this please enlighten me: suggestions for monitors that will plug stright into a DVD player very much appreciated, since I'm into the dark on this issue.

5. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    You don't need to bother with the TV license if your equipment isn't capable of picking up UK TV signals.

For that reason it might be worth your while to investigate buying an American LCD TV. The tuner in this wouldn't pick up UK TV broadcasts at all. Most of the Sharp models seem to operate on the UK voltage and Sharp states them as being PAL compatible - you'd obviously have to make doubly sure before you bought anything though.

It seems quite drastic, but I think it's robably easier than finding an LCD monitor suitable for "TV like" viewing (IE not a PC monitor with a small viewing angle) without a tuner in it...