1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

lcd monitor causing headaches?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by watchinthewheel, May 17, 2005.

1. watchinthewheel

watchinthewheel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi, i have just bought a 19" lcd monitor and it looks great but whenever i use it for a longish period (about an hour) i start to get a headache, my eyes are fine but my head hurts like hell. i upgraded from a 17"crt and never had this trouble even when i had been looking at the screen for several hours. has anyone here head of this problem or know anything i could do about it? i have tried changing the refresh rates between 60-180hz and there doest seem to be much of a difference.

any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

2. Skunkpipe

Skunkpipe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    are you using it at it's native resolution? If not that could be the cause

3. watchinthewheel

watchinthewheel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    im not sure wqhat its native is i think its 1280-1024 and thats the res im using but im not 100% about that. what exactly does it mean if im not using the right res though?

4. Crocodile

Crocodile
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,479
    Current LCD panels have very high levels of brightness & contrast. If you have Photoshop Elements, try running the Adobe Gamma calibration in the Control Panel.

5. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,909
    LCDs are always best used at their native resolution. It will be in the specs. Any other, and the LCD driver has to scale the incoming matrix to fit the screen matrix. Use native and each pixel incoming equates exactly to one pixel on the screen.

Oh, and whenever you change refresh rate or resolution, always re-do the monitor's setup routine. Auto usually does it.

BTW - you don't have to use a high refresh rate on an LCD to avoid flicker. Any will do.

6. timothyw

timothyw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Its probably a simple case of turning down the brightness a bit, or adding a bit more ambient light to your room; LCDs can be a heck of a lot brighter than CRTs, and as such may look clearer, but can end up making your head hurt!
    Another thing to try is make sure you have cleartype turned on in windows XP: Go to http://www.microsoft.com/typography/cleartype/tuner/Step1.aspx and follow it through. This should make text a lot more readable, and so less likely to give you a headache.

7. watchinthewheel

watchinthewheel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks a lot for all your advice ill try out what you suggest

8. mrmoo

mrmoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Generally native resolutions for a 19" LCD
    1280 x 1024 @ 75 Hz analog
    1280 x 1024 @ 60 Hz digital

9. watchinthewheel

watchinthewheel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks a lot for the advice, i have got what it was.

firstly i needed to use the auto feature a LOT more, as inm every time i do anything like play a game, write a document, browse teh internet, watch a video. every time i switch i have to use auto and it helps a lot.

also the borightness was up really really high and i think that was doing my head too.

thanks a lot, you have saved me a lot of headaches (literaly)

10. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,909
    On most monitors, you shouldn't have to run auto setup more than once per resolution AND refresh rate value. I'd expect it to remember each setting, once set. In other words each first time you feed it a new signal type, run auto.