1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LCD Monitor as alternative to portable TV

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by PAH, Jan 30, 2002.

1. PAH

PAH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    I'm toying with the idea of getting an LCD monitor to replace a rather old portable TV I use mainly for PS2 and the odd DVD when the main TV set is otherwise spoken for. Space is at a premium so LCD seems ideal. I'll also be able to plug my laptop PC into it so it will have an additional use, hence I'm thinking of an 18" rather than the smaller cheaper alternatives.

Should I consider forking out the extra wonga for one with a TV tuner (about £200 extra), or will I be able to plug in a spare VCR and use the tuner from that to watch terrestrial proggies if I ever get the urge?

Is there anything other than connections (s-video etc) that I should look out for (contrast seems to be around 300:1 to 400:1 but is that a big difference)?

Currently the iiyama AS4637BK (in black) is top of the list, but haven't done a lot of searching for alternatives yet.

Thanks for any answers/advice.

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Can't speak for the iiyama you quote, but, in general, PC monitors won't display a video signal, in any format. They can't handle the signal/image structure and/or refresh rate.

So, unless the one you choose specifically has this capability (which would be indicated by the presence of SVideo and/or Composite video, and, of course, audio, socketry, you would also need an external device which will convert the video signal into a computer RGB image (like VGA etc). I saw such a thing in the Keene Electronics catalogue at about £150, but I can't comment on how good it is.

Obviously, if you buy an LCD TV then it will handle TV signals. Panasonic do a pair of really s*xy widescreen items, 15inch and 22inch.