1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LCD inputs HDMI, DVI & HDCP article

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Xelon, Nov 17, 2004.

1. Xelon

Xelon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    Found an interesting article on a US Home Theatre site here:-

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_11_4/feature-dvi-hdmi-hdcp-connections-11-2004.html

Seems like HDMI is the way to go, not sure if the HDCP protection will be implemented in Western Europe, it has certainly made me think twice about ordering one of the Sharp GA (32"-37") series which only have DVI, now looking at the Tosh series with HDMI, can anybody shed more light on HDCP in the UK?

2. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,786
    HDCP is the form of copyprotection mandated for DVI connections. It's not UK specific. DVD players with DVI outputs are supposed to apply HDCP to that output if the disc is copyprotected. Digital Set top boxes or Sat boxes should also apply HDCP to their DVI outputs if there is copyprotection on the content being broadcast.

HDMI output DVD players or other sources will apply HDCP as the method of copyprotection on "protected" source material.

DVI inputs can be HDCP complaint or not
    HDMI inputs are HDCP compliant as it's part of the HDMI spec.

If you are going to have an HDCP or HDMI source then you firstly need to get an HDMI/HDCP compatible DVI input display.

You can read more about the issues involved on my website in the articles section.

Gordon

3. Xelon

Xelon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    Thanks Gordon for a good clear technical answer.

So I now surmise that to have all bases covered, the perfect LCD TV panel would have both HDMI & DVI inputs, with the DVI being HDCP compliant, (HDMI being natively HDCP ready) the only fly in the ointment I can see is for HTPC use, would the Video Card DVI connection need to be HDCP ready? Or would that only depend on HDCP enabled media being played from the PC?

Anyway pleased I never bought the Sharp LC-GA37E this week like I planned, because to be as Future proof as possibe at this present moment in time I believe a HDMI input is a must.

4. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,786
    PC's don't have DVI HDCP boards. Non encrypted DVI output like that of a PC can be played back on HDMI or DVI inputs.

The only caveat to the above is that the resolution and refresh rate you want to send from your source must be supported by the panel. This is where it all goes tits up.

Ideally with a digital connection you want to go pixel for pixel resolution to the display at the same refresh rate (or a complimentary one) as the source material.

As most displays just now tend to be PC resolutions rather than video resolutions we get problems. It'll all work out in the end though.....I hope.

G :)

5. Forest Fan

Forest Fan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    You can get DVI graphics cards now which are HDCP compliant. They'll be needed in a few years when you want to watch Blu-ray/HD-DVD from your PC through to your display will they not?

6. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,786
    I don't really know why you'd need an HDCP DVI board on a PC just now. If there are ever BluRay or HD-DVD drives that are capable of playing back pre-recorded discs then I'd guess they may well impliment digital copyprotection and you would need a video card that was suitable.

Interesting that there are now HDCP boards though.

G