1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LCD Input & Converters

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by milanlad, Sep 1, 2003.

1. milanlad

milanlad
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    If I have an LCD display which was bought for use with a PC, what type of converter do I require if I want to play a composite video (or an s-video or Pal RGB) signal through the monitor?

If I buy a standard LCD TV (with or without a tuner) can I put a PC display output through the LCD TV? I pressume some form of converter would be needed.

Thanks in advance

2. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Standard LCD TVs tend to have PC inputs too, so it's just a case of changing channel to use the PC, then back again to watch TV.

However, a converter like the JS Technology or Keene Syncblaster ones will not allow video signals to be displayed on your standard monitor. What you need is a scaler that can alter the video signal to a high resolution one for your monitor.

The ProV+ is perfect in this scenario as it has TV tuner, remote, video inputs plus a socket for the PC so you can select PC by remote or have the PC work with the ProV off.

3. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    you also need to confirm that the 'converter' matches the capabilities of the display panel, many older ones do not. Look for the 50 Hz capabilities

4. dejongj

dejongj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    And of-course that the outputs as closely match the native resolution of the LCD panel. For example if you have a widescreen LCD panel, you will find that the likes of an PRO-V only support 4:3 resolutions.
    In my knowledge the cheapest option will be to let your PC do the scaling in order to get a good picture quality and pixel-exact information.
    The change left from buying a computer LCD panel should be plenty to upgrade your PC to a scaler PC (dscale for example), or even build one. A lot of the LCD-TV have 'inferior' resolutions as the resolution is build for (mainly) US TV frame size 640x480. Whilst PAL for example is 768x576. So you need at the very least an 800x600 native resolution in order to display the PAL framesize without any scaling....

Hope this helped...