LCD image burn problem

Blade2005

hi, for the last 9 days i have been getting image burn on my hitachi HD ready LCD TV its only temporary as it fades after about 20mins but is very annoying as the images stick after only a few mins of being on a still image

after being on the tv the guide (sky and freeview) it leaves streaks of yellow/green
it is not caused be the connections as i have changed the leads and it does it on my sky/freview/dvd player/xbox360 so i am sure the tv is at fault

is there a way to fix this problem?
if not i still have 4 months warranty with allianz

thank you

Badger0-0

Distinguished Member
Do you still have it on the stupidly high default settings?

If so, try reducing the contrast and brightness to more sensible levels.

CasDon

hi, for the last 9 days i have been getting image burn on my hitachi HD ready LCD TV its only temporary as it fades after about 20mins but is very annoying as the images stick after only a few mins of being on a still image

after being on the tv the guide (sky and freeview) it leaves streaks of yellow/green
it is not caused be the connections as i have changed the leads and it does it on my sky/freview/dvd player/xbox360 so i am sure the tv is at fault

thank you

Just a small point you don't get image burn on LCD TV's that only affects Plasma's.

There is image lag where the pixels fail to switch off or change state correctly (i.e. response time)

As stated brightness and contrast can have an effect on these but frankly these days there should not be any residual image on an LCD TV so I'd say it should be swapped

Blade2005

the contrast and brightness settings are at normal levels the tv is over 2 years old but i still have 4 months left on the extra warranty i got with the tv with allianz

does anyone know if this problem should be covered by the allianz warranty?

thanks

S Bibby

Hi,
the contrast and brightness settings are at normal levels the tv is over 2 years old but i still have 4 months left on the extra warranty i got with the tv with allianz

does anyone know if this problem should be covered by the allianz warranty?

I doubt the settings would make any difference, from the sounds of it there is a fault or two with the set and I would look for an exchange. The manufacturer does not cover image retention/sticking but the insurer might differ. Having said that, it sounds like a dodgy panel - do you have a model number by chance?

Nielo TM

Distinguished Member

thank you

You'll have to contact the retailer for replacement/repair.

Nielo TM

Distinguished Member
Just a small point you don't get image burn on LCD TV's that only affects Plasma's.

Not true

LCDs are also apt to pixel damage. When pixel are active, they continue to receive power, which can lead to pixel malfunction over-time.

F-LCD technology is does not suffer from IR or pixel damage, but it's currently not in service.

There is image lag where the pixels fail to switch off or change state correctly (i.e. response time)

Image lag is not related to RT.

RT is the time it takes a pixel from one shade of gray to another.

CasDon

Not true

LCDs are also apt to pixel damage. When pixel are active, they continue to receive power, which can lead to pixel malfunction over-time.

F-LCD technology is does not suffer from IR or pixel damage, but it's currently not in service.

While you are correct that pixels on LCD can become damage and stick causing a particular colour, black or white to be prominently shown due to how plasma screens work where the gas excites a phosphorous coating to generate the desired colours only Plasmas can get true image burn much in the way old CRT's used to.

Nielo TM

Distinguished Member
Actually, burn-in itself is an accurate term.

The correct term is uneven aging of phosphors/pixels, where the luminosity between the pixels is to vast, it can be detected by the human eye.

I don't think there an official word for the so-called 'LCD burn-in'.

CasDon

Actually, burn-in itself is an accurate term.

The correct term is uneven aging of phosphors/pixels, where the luminosity between the pixels is to vast, it can be detected by the human eye.

I don't think there an official word for the so-called 'LCD burn-in'.

Oh I do love it when two people effectively the same thing but in different ways.

Burn in was a term coined for the CRT displays due to the electrons burning a permanent image into the phosphur coating of the screen.

It was then passed on down to Plasma's which due to the common technology of using a phosphur coating to emit the visible light which is caused by exciting phosphur atoms through the emmission of photons from the plasma gas cells

So much in the same way that a steady state of electrons in CRT caused image burn due to a near permanent changing the state of the phosphur plasmas used to suffer the same effect.

In LCD the image retention effect is caused by the crystals creating a memory effect and in essence retaining the state caused by a steady image.

So while the net effect is a retained ghost image on the TV and the root cause of a persistent static image is the same the actual method of the image retention by the technologies is different hence why I said that LCD's do not suffer from burn.

Nielo TM

Distinguished Member
Sorry, my bad. It should have been "Actually, burn-in itself is an inaccurate term."

You many wish to call uneven aging burn-in, but ultimately the burn-in effect is caused by uneven aging, which is what I believe anyway ;).

As phosphor ages, its light output diminishes by default. Usually, we can't detect the subtile differences, but as the gap widens, the difference becomes more pronounced.

In LCD, each pixel has a capacitor and transistor, which governs the LC. If any of the two were to malfunction, it would not be possible to accurately control the LC. So yes, LCDs do not burn-in, but as you've correctly stated, the end result is the same.

Unfortunately, the use of over-drive seems to accelerate pixel degradation.

Last edited:

Blade2005

the model is Hitachi 32LD6600

not to sound stupid but what would be the best way to explain the problem to allianz (the warranty company) if i explain it to then as screen burn i am worried they will just say sorry its not covered for that (like most places dont cover screen burn with plasma tv's)

thanks

Last edited:

Nielo TM

Distinguished Member
Or image persistence or non-uniformed image

If they try to wiggle their way out, give Consumer Direct a call

S Bibby

Hi Blade,
the model is Hitachi 32LD6600

not to sound stupid but what would be the best way to explain the problem to allianz (the warranty company) if i explain it to then as screen burn i am worried they will just say sorry its not covered for that (like most places dont cover screen burn with plasma tv's)

Unfortunately Hitachi are out of the consumer electrical market now so I would go straight back to your insurance. Just tell them exactly what you said here and I'm sure they won't quibble. -

This really shouldn't happen out of the blue after a few years service. No idea why you have colours trailing on the screen - sounds quite unusual to be honest.

Hope this is of some help,
Simon

The latest video from AVForums

Maverick UK Premiere IMAX Review + Top Gun, Tom Cruise, Tony Scott and 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom