LCD image burn/imprint. Which sets suffer from it?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by orc, Aug 31, 2007.

Tags:
  1. orc

orc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi all, I am an owner of a LG 32LX2R. It was a great set, with quite acceptable image quality for the time , and 2 digital inputs, capable of 1:1 pixel mapping, making it ideal for use with PC. Which is what I did – used it as a PC monitor, playing games like Guild Wars, and World Of Warcraft. After the initial excitement about this set, I have experienced the worst cases of image burning which was shocking to me , cause I have been using LCD monitors for years , and never experienced image burned on them.The static elements of the games, like interface bar, map borders, whatever was always beaing displayed in the same position will imprint a ghost of itself as a shadow on the screen. I was aware of image burn happening with plasma sets, but not on LCDs. Still LG suffers a lot from this :/ I did some research and I came up with the info that the panels made in plants at 2005-2006 were suffering from this defect. I did not manage to find much more though. A way to remedy the problem is to leave the set displaying a white wallpaper for days/weeks non-stop. I would like to know your experiences with image burn on your sets. Do you notice it? What models and how old are they. Is this problem still persistent with today's panels? Is it because of the PVA panels, the overdrive for faster response time?

Do current full HDTV sets have this problem too?

This is a very important problem; please share your thoughts/facts

2. jon_c0

jon_c0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    Not 100% clear on a bit of this...

Do you mean that, in your case, following this advice lead to the removal of what you saw? If so, then surely you were/are experiencing (some LCD equivalent of) image retention rather than image burn?

3. orc

orc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Over the net there are many terms used to describe this , yes image retention could be used too, image persistence, even video memory. You get a “watermark” that stays like a ghost image in place.

4. jon_c0

jon_c0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    I think you missed my point :). There are lots of terms, some used incorrectly, but they differ in what they mean. Retention is temporary, burn is permanent. Which have you suffered from? The thread title suggest burn/permanent, but the info you state above suggests retention/temporary.

5. orc

orc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I think the title is not misleading. The threat is not about what I suffer, it is which other tv sets suffer form prolongued/permanent image imprint.

But to answer your question, my set suffers from both. there are persistant images ,that if I am up to it, and use white wallpaper for 3 weeks , I am sure they'll go away, and there are some other "spots". that do not go away also.

At this point I do not seek any remedy, but info on which sets have the same problem, confirming the 2005-2006 plant info, and maybe clearing out the today's current sets info.