1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LCD IDTV's and CAM slots

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Steviemacca, Sep 8, 2005.

1. Steviemacca

Steviemacca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I remember someone claiming on a forum once that all idtv's had to have a cam slot in the uk. Is this true?

Steviemacca

2. MDPlatts

MDPlatts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I dont know - I believe most do though - I noticed a few references when doing me research, my new JVC LT37DS6(BJ) does - I think its more common with the iDTV sets than the freeview boxes - maybe its part of the spec for iDTV qualification. I think only addon services like TopUp TV need the CAM slot.

3. Steviemacca

Steviemacca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks. All of the ones I have seen do, but I have a Sagem 32"LCD on order, but just cannot find out whether there is one.

4. Rob1698

Rob1698

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I understand that in the UK you don't really need a CAM slot, but in other countries (like here in the Netherlands) everything is encrypted, so a TV with only a freeview tuner is completely useless.

On the other hand, manufacturers that sell IDTVs are usually noting that operation with the local network is not guaranteed. So one can still end up with a useless feature.
    (receivers with builtin decoder, not requiring a CAM, are usually given away or sold very inexpensively with service subscription. the only reason to buy an IDTV here would be to have less clutter, it will certainly be more expensive)

5. Steviemacca

Steviemacca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I found this picture of the side of a Sagem 32" LCD on a French AV sales website.

http://www.darty.com/webapp/wcs/sto...iew?codic=2040131&storeId=10001&imageNumber=2

Anyone know if the picture shown (you can zoom in) is showing a cam slot. I thought it unlikely to be the memory card reader. The next picture along shows a not very nice looking remote control but also another device. Not knowing anything about cams was wondering if it was one.

Thanks.
    Steviemacca