1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LCD help needed

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by sonysideup, Nov 26, 2004.

1. sonysideup

sonysideup
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm just about to purchase my first lcd television but I'm dazed and confused by all the advice (non-advice) being handed out by the shops. I sense they are just trying to sell me what they want to sell me so I've turned to this forum for some genuine help from people who truly know televisions.
    I plan to buy from a website but I went to the stores just for reference and info.

This is what I want from an lcd set (I'm open to all suggestions):

32in
    High definition ready
    It must be capable of handling fast movement (ie football)
    Other than sport, the TV will be used for films, dvds, kids programmes and general telly like my wife's soaps!

I will have sky+ in a matter of weeks and will probably get a dvd recorder to accompany the tv.

I also want to use my existing video to play back old tapes like home movies. But, from a review I read on a sharp, the quality from a video to an lcd is not great. Is that true or is it another urban myth?

I originally looked at the Sony KLV-L32M1 purely because I've always bought sony in the past. The set impressed me in the shop and seemed to handled sky sports news pretty well. However, the movie dvd they showed me was scratched and useless and I've also no idea how it will handle old videos and terrestrial telly on the odd occasion it's used. That said the wega engine appears to be getting good reviews.

However, I popped into sevenoaks sound and vision today and they told me Sony are lagging behind in the lcd market and Sharp are the market leaders. They recommended the LC32GA4E. From a review I read, it appears to have a good refresh rate so it should handle football well but there appears to be doubts about its performance when the feed is of a poorer quality to Sky. Is this a problem and does it plague all LCDs? Are there any other pitfalls with this model?

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

2. sonysideup

sonysideup
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    as i said... any help would be greatly appreciated.

3. Alan D

Alan D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi sonysideup - both Philips and Sharp (and maybe the new Toshiba) are all worth auditioning and all have been discussed at length on the forum (search around and you will find). I haven't seen the Sonys, but Philips seems to be winning out in favourable reviews (I have the 37" Philips and it is excellent for most sources - it will show up the inherent faults with VHS and poorer Sky channels, as will ALL LCD TVs, but I have found that generally the Philips gives excellent results - including football).

4. sonysideup

sonysideup
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    thanks alan - that's the sort of guidance i need. it's my first foray into the lcd world and i want to get it right. i don't have unrealistic expectations but i do want to get a tv which caters for my needs. out of curiousity, what model philips would you recommend for a 32"?

5. Alan D

Alan D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well the 32PF9986 is the Philips model that has both Pixel Plus 2 and Ambilight (I have the 37" version of this) and I have been very happy with the performance, with Sky (channels vary, but that isn't the TVs fault). DVD (via DVI input and RGB Scart) even analogue TV looks pretty good (although I am lucky to have very good analogue reception). The only real downside (and this is true of all makes of LCDs) is the lack of absolute black-level in the picture. With suitable ambient lighting (or the inbuilt Ambilight in the case of the Philips) this effect can be reduced. You must try to audition an LCD in at least semi-dark conditions to make sure it is something you can live with.

6. sonysideup

sonysideup
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    cheers alan. i presume that model is high definition ready. i know you said it gives excellent results on football but can i ask how crisp is it? i saw my parents' toshiba lcd today and the football and rugby were both affected by fast movement. that said, it is a far inferior setup to the philips, sony etc which i'm looking at.

7. Alan D

Alan D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well it takes 720p and 1080i via DVI (and I've been watching DVDs at those settings from my Denon DVD-1910), so that qualifies for HDTV ready as far as I know.
    I don't watch much football, but the bits I've seen on Match Of The Day have been pretty crisp to my eyes. Some minor artifacts and even very slight momentary blurring, but that's probably 50% the Sky signal and 50% the TV. It certainly doesn't turn the ball into a "streak", and is very watchable.

8. sonysideup

sonysideup
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    thanks mate - that's just what i wanted to hear. a couple of shops have recommended plasma for watching sport but i know lcd has made great strides in this department. also, i prefer the clarity and crispness of lcd over plasma