LCD Help needed! Philips32pf9986

Discussion in 'Philips TVs Forum' started by McCraque, Nov 21, 2004.

Tags:
  1. McCraque

McCraque

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Can someone please offer me some advice!? :lease:

I've been toying with the idea of getting the phillips 32pf9986, and like what I have seen of it. However, in the shop, they were showing Shrek on dvd - which it seemed to handle extremely well. However....how do these sets handle things such as football? Is there noticable image ghosting with moving images?? I am worried about shelling out a few grand and then not being satisfied!

I was all set on an LCD, and then moving to another shop, the salesman tried to talk me out of LCD and on to plasma....telling me that image quality/handling moving images was the reason for his opinion - so I have come home extremely confused now.

On another note....How easy is it to hide the cables in walls without having to redecorate the whole lounge? The walls are plasterboard, but with brick behind, so the weight won't be a problem....just not sure how to hide the cables.

Appreciate this may be basic to many of you...but would be really grateful for any help anyone can give.

Thanks!

2. Alan D

Alan D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Regarding football and other fast moving images - depends mainly on the quality of the source. On my 37PF9986 I have watched football on Sky and even analogue without any problems - but I have strong signals in both cases. The Philips TVs do seem to have the edge over some when it comes to "motion tracking". Any LCD will show up flaws in the source. Another thing to bear in mind is what TV you are used to and the viewing distance. I'm about 9ft away from mine and it looks great - but that is pretty much a minimum.

3. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Any screen should be excellent at animation. You need to judge for yourself what the screen looks like on the type of material you intend to watch. The assistant in the other shops advice is somewhat out of date. Any recent LCD with <=16ms refresh should handle all but the most demanding of images without causing motion issues. My (non Philips) screen only struggles with fast horizontal scrolling text on a grey background and that is on a demo disc designed to push the limits of the dispay or credits on childrens TV. Football should be no problem. Some people have witnissed issues with some video games but, as an occasional gamer, I have never seen a using my PS2.

There is a visual difference between LCD and Plasma, but it is down to personal preference rather than any technical limitation of either. Both have their plus' and minus'.

4. McCraque

McCraque

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    the sources I'd be viewing from would be sky tv, dvd and like you...occassional Ps2 use - obviously the signals from each are extremely good.

Am very tempted now....

5. Howbury

Howbury
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have noticed no significant ghosting from an ntl digital feed.
    I haven't solved the problem of hiding the cables yet - I feel the need to be able to get at them when I want to - eg changing the VGA feed to Component video. My thoughts are to make a cover and paint it the same as the wall. I may need 2 covers, one either side of my centre speaker.
    I am very pleased with my 32PF9986. I don't have it at the moment as it was taken away yesterday to have the firmware upgraded from v1.3 to v2 in order to handle Component Video.
    For what it is worth, I found BEDirect very helpful and a good price.

6. McCraque

McCraque

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    thanks Howbury.....do you have a website address for them?

7. Howbury

Howbury
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  8. tonyh

tonyh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey Howbury

How did you go about getting your TV firmware upgraded - I got mine from John Lewis without the component > VGA cable and with v1.3 firmware - I contacted Philips and they said to contact JL. JL looked at me blankly and said they'd investigate - been over a week now and hear nothing - how did you do - Philips or Retailer..?

Once the firmware is upgraded to v2.0, can you still use DVI input OK..?

Thanks

9. Howbury

Howbury
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    TonyH
    I did not involve the dealer initially. I sent repeated emails to Philips Customer Care - initially I got the Component lead but of course it did not work. I then listed all the reviews since June which mentioned the inclusion of the Component video lead/facility. I said that since I received my TV at the end of September I must have got an old model as it had firmware version 1.3 and it needs v2 for Component video to work. I asked how I should go about getting the firmware updated. They then emailed saying "With regards to your query we can advise that you should contact your retailer in order that the unit can be serviced. This will resolve the issues you are experiencing" which I did. The dealer knew nothing but were very good in pursuing the problem. Initially Philips were going to supply them with a CD to solve the problem but then I got a call to say that the TV would be collected and upgraded and returned. It was collected yesterday so I wait and see what firmware version it has when I get it back. I assume that the DVI interface will still work but I cannot test it as I don't have a device with DVI out. I have a Panasonic Home Cinema system (HT520) which has Component video out but Progressive Scan on NTSC only. I don't have any NTSC DVDs so won't be able to test that bit.
    Hope this helps
    John
    (Bedford)

10. Howbury

Howbury
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    TonyH
    BTW it is Philips that are doing the upgrade, not the dealer.
    John