• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

LCD Headache

Vypa

Standard Member
Hi Guys

I'm looking to buy a new LCD TV for my bedroom over the next few months to replace my current 26 inch LCD Sammy (The one all the XBOX 360 Demo Pods had at launch)

I have changed my mind so many times. These are the things I'm looking for:

Size - 32 preferably (Possibly 37-40 at a push)
Res - Full HD but not essential unless 37 inch
Price - £1000 max
Features preferred - 100hz, 24p, 10 bit panel, at least 3 x HDMI. 8 ms at most

The blacks must be best possible , I know LCD is worse than Plasma but I don't want a TV which loses detail in black areas.

I primarily use my TV for gaming on my 360 and PS3 although I have a decent sized blu ray collection so the movie playback quality is also important. It will need to handle upscaled DVD's well too.

I have looked at several models but some carry drawbacks which put me off.

Philips 32/37 PFL9632/9602D - Beautiful TV with good motion handling and solid movie handling but apparently input lag is bad making this a bad tv for gaming.

Samsung 32LEA656 - No 100hz supposedly but good for gaming however reports indicate "Black Crush" as a major issue, no detail at all in dark scenes

Sony KDL32D3000 - Supposedly a great TV, not Full HD but seems to have everything else I want.

Sony KDL32W4000 - From what I have seen this TV has less features than the D3000 except the Full HD and the pixel thingy for the photos. Also has BE2 but what difference will it make. Our 46W2000 benefits from a better picture with all the fancy features turned off.. It hasn't got a 10 bit panel (I think the D3000 does) and neither does it have motion flow 100 hz.

Toshiba 40ZF355D - Probably out of my price range and could be too big depends on the size of my room when I move out.

Out of all above I am leaning towards the D3000 , it has all the features pretty much as well as its price is coming down.

If anyone can advise of any other TV's which may be suitable available now or coming soon then please say and I will look into them. Any other advice on comments on the above TV's is also welcome.

Thanks in advance

ChrisGgr

Distinguished Member
For just some more you can get the 40W4000,bigger the better

ChrisGgr

Distinguished Member
yeah the 40W4000 has added to 32W4000,10bit panel,xv colour,WCG-CCFL backlight instead of CCFL.Features that although might not be a deal breaker would be good to have them.Dont forget the size is bigger as well

Vypa

Standard Member
Thanks Chris. I'm warming to the W4000 after reading that 100hz isn't an essential feature for watching BD and playing games. Apparently the 24p alone ensures a smooth judder free picture (correct me if I'm wrong).

If by chance the 40 will be too big for my room and I go for the 32 would it a big loss to lose the 10 bit panel, x.v colour etc given the size of the screen?

Thanks in advance

ChrisGgr

Distinguished Member
Yeah 24p is a must definitely.The loss of those features although it would be good to have them,however it wont be a big loss

Vypa

Standard Member
Cheers Chris. I think thats it then, W4000 it is, gonna see if I can view one in my local sony centre next week. Then time to start saving for making a purchase in July. :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom