1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LCD HD help.. Please!!

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Lino, Dec 17, 2004.

1. Lino

Lino

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    OK, I'm going out of my mind with the DVI and the HDMI and everything else with an initial I don't understand. I'm about to take the plunge and go with an LCD set, obviously I'm trying to find something that isn't going to need to be thrown away when Sky start their HD broadcasting.. Is there anything avaliable now in the 24" - 30" that isn't going to break the bank but will suit me? Suggestions are VERY welcome. Oh, I'm planning on sticking the X-box and PS2 through it too if that helps.

I am tempted by the LG RZ26LZ50 from what I've seen it's got a 1280x768 res which I think I'm gonna need for HD and also a DVI-I input.. Heres the Amazon website thats got a full list of specs for it..

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos...rements/ref=ed_tec_dp_2_1/202-4800431-1266200

As I say, any help or suggestions will be gratefully recieved :)

Happy holidays all :)

2. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hi.

I sympathise. I've just gone through the same tiresome trawl. I've ended up with a 32" set, but along the way I came across and was very tempted by the Viewsonic N3000W. I've encouraged people on other threads to look at this TV as it offers connectivity like no other. I'll not bore you here with the details, just go to the review which can be found in the hardwear reviews at the top of the main forum page.

Basically, it is future proof, with connections for all the DVIHDMIHDCPPROGRESSIVESCANCOMPONENTRGB etc that you can imagine...Check out the review.

Jimmy

3. WonkyEwok

WonkyEwok

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Are you sure that it's got HDMI?

http://www.viewsonic.com/products/desktopdisplays/lcdtv/n3000w/#specs

It might be important for a couple of reasons:
    * All the sets I've managed to find out about which have DVI do not support 720p/50, only 720p/60. The future SKY format looks likely to be 720p/50.
    * Apparently DVD players with HDMI outputs will transfer 10 bit data to HDMI socket TVs but only 8 bit to DVI. That should mean smoother colour transitions via HDMI. (Maybe only perfectionists will see this! I've only read about it either here or on www.avsforum.com )
    * On the other hand it might be simpler to connect a PC to a DVI socket than to HDMI. I'm not quite sure why this should be, but most (all?) of the pc-tv problems I've read about have been to hdmi not dvi. Plenty of folks have got pc-hdmi to work though.

(Open to correction!)

Here's hoping that prices fall / new models are introduced after Christmas. I'd like a cheap-ish 30" or smaller set with HDMI and I've not been able to find one yet. Basically I want either the Hitachi 28LD5200 to gain a HDMI port (as they have abroad?) or Toshiba to bring out a 30WL48 with HDMI instead of the current 30WL46 and 32WL48.

4. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Nightmare, isn't it?

In my experience, I have found that the DVI socket is HDMI 'compatible'. This, of course, is a little vague and is of little help to the likes of Lino who just wants to know what TV to buy now that won't be technically obsolete in 2 years time!

I've just gone through the same process and ended up with a Philips PF9986. I am assuming (dangerous, I know) that the DVI socket will allow me to watch HiDef in whatever form it appears in. It may require adapters or scalers of some sort, but I'm betting I can get it to work. As long as it has a digital input of some sort. DVI or HDMI. I suspect that the DVI input may be better in some ways, as it adds the flexibilty of a direct computer link.

I also suspect that my wee eyes are unlikely to see the difference between 8bit and 10bit signals.

Good Luck Lino.