1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

lcd + grey screens

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Paul D, Dec 29, 2000.

1. Paul D

Paul D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +391
    I've been reading on some american sites about using grey screens with LCD/DLP etc. by using a -0.8 gain screen it helps with contrast. I guess this is due LCD/DLP not having a problem with brightness (ie gain not needed). But blacks are a problem, so showing onto a light grey screen still looks white but blacks are blacker. It also helps with ambient light reflection. Does anybody know if anyone in the UK is looking into this?. Stewart screens do the greyhawk i think but they would charge over half of what i paid for my projector!(Toshiba MT1z).

------------------
    I'am not drinking anymore....but i'am not drinking any less

2. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,808
    Fulabeer,

It's my intention to look in to this when the Greyhawk is available . Just now it is still in Beta testing.

You could, of course, try it yourself with a cheap bit of MDF and some grey paint out B+Q. You'll not get as good results but it'll be cheap and should give an idea of what might be achieved.

I suspect that with more and more fixed panel, high brightness projectors being used in home cinema there will be more screen manufacturers investigating this. Lets hope so anyway.

Gordon

------------------
    StereoStereo
    Intelligent Solutions for Intelligent Homes !

3. Paul D

Paul D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +391
    Lets hope the prices are not to high Gordon, because as you know lcd/dlp prices are catering for the lower/budget end of home cinema market. I'am going to experiment next week on my newly plastered wall. At the moment it's white matt, but i'am going to get some match pots of different shades of grey. I will split the screen up into four and see what works best. I will post the results, but bear in mind what suits me may not suit somebody else(different projector-ambient light etc). Eventualy I will buy a fixed rigid screen but for the time being lets see!.

------------------
    I'am not drinking anymore....but i'am not drinking any less

4. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,808
    F:

From what I can gather the Greyhawk isn't actually that dark grey. So, don't get too carried away.

Gordon

P.S. All stewart screens are pretty expensive. I'm trying to get as close as possible to personal import prices, but with UK service and back up. Perhaps Vu-Tec will do one!

------------------
    StereoStereo
    Intelligent Solutions for Intelligent Homes !

[This message has been edited by Gordon, StereoStereo (edited 30-12-2000).]

5. Rob Dyer

Rob Dyer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I'm reading the comments here with interest as I began a related thread elsewhere.

I'm using a Sharp XVC1E and was looking at exactly this issue. I didn't want to shell out £300 on a manual white screen if it wasn't gonna significantly improve the image.

I'm currently projecting onto a white wall but I'm looking to either buy or make my own screen (approx 7ft wide). I might try this grey approach. I was thinking of trying a vinyl floor covering.