1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LCD ghosting gone? I bet NOT and challenge you to test your LCD!

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by moveq, Sep 3, 2005.

1. moveq

moveq
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I frequently see people claiming that newest LCDs no longer suffer from ghosting. Yet, I haven't seen one that was totally free from it. Naturally I haven't tested all of the sets, so it would be interesting to hear any results you get with the same test I've been using.

Download Pixel Persistence Analyzer here:
    http://www.benchmarkhq.ru/english.html?/be_monitor.html

Connect your PC to your LCD TV and run the test. There's a small racing car scrolling across the screen, and on LCDs I've tested, it gets quite blurred and leaves a trail. Are there any sets that really can show this accurately?

Don't get me wrong, I choose LCD over CRT any day :)

2. televisionuser

televisionuser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I tested it on my 17" LCD monitor (LG 16ms). I get a very slight trail about 2mm in length. I'll try testing it later on a CRT to see how it compares. This test would be good for checking if a monitor is up to scratch for gaming.

3. Llanowar

Llanowar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't see ghosting on my lcd tv, even with the fastest movements, so why test it and start looking for it? But it's a funny test if you want to take it to your local shop :)

4. moveq

moveq
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    So you're not up to the challenge aye? :)

5. TankTopLover

TankTopLover

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +187
    :rotfl:

6. thanley

thanley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Tiny bit on my LG 17" 16ms LCD, but not that you would notice it.. tried it on my sons 17" Fujitsu CRT and it looks slightly worse, but not that much.. at the end of the day it doesn't impact on my viewing or games playing, so not fussed.

7. moveq

moveq
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I too have got an LG 17" monitor but it's 20ms and has quite a lot of ghosting. That racecar is actually just a big blur going from side to side. My 32" low end Funai LCD TV also shows that car blurry but not as much as the LG monitor.

Where you really can see ghosting when watching normal TV are the formula one GPs (in addition to soccer). Cars that are far enough away from the camera do seem to be blurry. Its another GP this weekend so keep your eyes open for the ghosts! :D

8. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    My last years' Sony LCD doesn't ghost much, but for some reason it always struggles with solid black objects. Sometimes they ghost like crazy. The Samsung LE32R41B I had was different, it had very slight ghosting over the whole image, but not the solid blacks, which I found much more frequent.

So no, the ghosting problem I'll bet isn't totally gone, but it's no longer annoying to my eyes.