1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LCD for gaming + general PC use

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by @if ®afiq, Jun 4, 2004.

1. @if ®afiq

@if ®afiq

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Is anyone using a widescreen LCD monitor as a PC monitor? namely the samsung 26" one?

I'm slightly worried about ghosting and blurring...I'm going to the massive Dixon's store at the Bull Ring later on this evening to have a look - but would also like your input...

:)

2. brain

brain
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As long as the screen has a pixel responce time of 16ms or under it should be fine.
    Another thing to consider is the resolution the screen is capable of displaying. You want a high native resolution if you are going to be connecting up the PC. 26inch would be a large monitor and a resolution of only 1280x768 would mean huge icons and not that great if you are sitting close to it.

I have a 20.1 inch tft monitor [dell2001fp] that does 1600x1200 and i think is acceptable - any lower would just be too big. Its all down to personal taste I guess.

However, its more difficult [expensive] to get higher resolution screens with a lower responce time.

I dont know how much this screen would retail. If you are looking for a large tft monitor then a LCD tv might not be the best option.

3. @if ®afiq

@if ®afiq

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    You're right about the pixel thing...

What do DVD's look like on the Dell?

4. brain

brain
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    very good except its not a widescreen LCD - i can highly recommend the dell screen though if that doesnt bother you

5. @if ®afiq

@if ®afiq

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I would prefer widescreen - but as you metioned the actaul res. of LCD's is not very high...

...someone on another forums mentioned the 20" Apple Cinema display - I've been having a look at the specs and they have an amazing 1920x1200 res! - although I would also need an adapter to go with it...

6. @if ®afiq

@if ®afiq

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    The apple cinema is a no go as 9800 Pro and the mointor do not go well together - there is no display during post/bios/dos aparently...

...so looks like a Dell 2001FP or maybe the slightly smaller 22" Samsung model...

7. brain

brain
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    plus the apple screen have no good pixel response times the last time i looked...