LCD for £600

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by Jazz Monkey Jr, Dec 26, 2006.

Tags:
  1. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,632
    Now the sales are on are there any decent 32" LCD's for around £600.
    There are some in Currys, a Phillips for £600.

Would it be best top go for a Panny, Tosh, Samsung or Sony instead?

2. pixelated

pixelated

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    I think you'd be better off with any of those four brands rather than Philips personally. Never been a fan of Philips LCDs to date... some people love them of course but generally, the reasonably well respected Philips are much more expensive than their £600 models.

I'd go for the Panasonic or the Sony myself. Toshibas are also a cracking choice, and the Samsungs are very pretty with reasonable picture quality to boot.

3. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,632
    I think my friend is going for the Tosh for around £575. The others are a bit too much.

Thanks

4. Analogue

Analogue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Philips 32PF7531 still takes the can for the best SD performance IMHO of the lower priced 32" LCD's. You can get it from Dixons for less than £600. It shows detail that you would not know existed on some other top brands. The Tosh is good but it still looks smudgy in comparison. Best SD test as other posters have said is BBC1 freeview preferably showing football or rugby but otherwise watch head movements and fine detail.

5. sting£r

sting£r

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Just bought the samsung 32" R7BDX and its stunning. Absolutley cannot fault it so far, even playing consoles through composite it looks great. If i were you, i would ignore a lot of the stuff you read here, as it will just make you paranoid, unless you are already obsessive about your PQ!

6. Hallsy

Hallsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    The 32PF7531 and 32WLT66 are two I'm deciding between, love the looks of the Philips, but in the store the picture looked awful, although I don't imagine for a second it was setup well.
    On a side note, forgive my ignorance, but what does SD mean?

7. Analogue

Analogue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    SD = Standard Definition i.e. what most of us will be watching for the next few years, particularly as HM Gov have decided not to allow BBC etc to expand bandwidth after analogue switch - off to deliver broadcast digital HD. They have decided instead as usual to make money from it and sell bandwidth to highest bidder who may actually have nothing to do with public service at all and if they do will charge a premium for whatever they provide.

Hence my appeal to compare LCD's on BBC1 Freeview as for broadcast material on a free to air basis thats as good as you are going to get in the near future unless you pay a premium to Sky or cable

8. Analogue

Analogue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am not obsessive about PQ but playing consoles through composite or anything does not figure in my requirements. My requirement is to watch broadcast from the best source but not at an extravagant premium. IMHO Samsung are at the bottom of the " top brand" PQ league for my requirements.