Quantcast

LCD DVI max resolution of 1024x768 question

MrLee

Novice Member
Hi I bought the Haier 30" LCD TV from Ebuyer a few weeks back and I'm very pleased with it.

That said, I only got round to connecting the PC up via DVI this weekend, up until now I'd been using the VGA D-Sub. With the VGA connector I can have a resolution up to 1280x1024 quite happily (although I believe the native resolution is 1280x768 which is what I had been using).

Once I had connected via DVI the maximum resolution I can get is 1024x768. Now assuming I've not done something naive and stupid and that this is the maximum resolution I can get, will this limit me at all in terms of picture quality etc? For example if I were to connect something via DVI (E.g. PS3) would I have full HD functionality or will the picture be limited because of the max resolution?

I'm a bit confused as to why the resolution is so limited via the digital connection rather than the analogue. I did search to see if I could find this answered elsewhere but I had no luck so apologies if it has been answered before.

T

teabag1605

Hi,

The problem with DVI and HDMI connections is that they are bi-directional and the graphics card asks the display what the supported resolutions are. Currently the anseres that come back are based on the EDID Industry standard resolutions and do not have the native resolutions of most LCD panels designed for television. It is hoped that sometime in the future the relevant industry body will get their backsides in gear and update the EDID screen resolutions and then hopefully people will be able to use the native resolutions on new displays with these definitions.

In the meantime I understand that there are some graphics drivers available that allow you to ignore the supported resolutions from the display and create a customer set, I think the information is under the 32ld7200 thread from memory.

Best regards

teabag

MrLee

Novice Member
teabag1605 said:
Hi,

The problem with DVI and HDMI connections is that they are bi-directional and the graphics card asks the display what the supported resolutions are. Currently the anseres that come back are based on the EDID Industry standard resolutions and do not have the native resolutions of most LCD panels designed for television. It is hoped that sometime in the future the relevant industry body will get their backsides in gear and update the EDID screen resolutions and then hopefully people will be able to use the native resolutions on new displays with these definitions.

In the meantime I understand that there are some graphics drivers available that allow you to ignore the supported resolutions from the display and create a customer set, I think the information is under the 32ld7200 thread from memory.

Best regards

teabag
Great, thanks for the information, I'll check the thread out.

jtorry

Standard Member
To get a native res over DVI on my thomson I had to set my display adapter to output 720p. This is on a Nvidia 6800. I can now get a perfect 1280x720.

Top Bottom