• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

LCD/DVD combi - which one?

Gray2006

Standard Member
Hi,

I am after a budget (sub £300) LCD TV, with a built-in DVD player that can play Divx files. It's only for the bedroom, so I don't want some huge beast, just a decent-sized widescreen neat looking TV, that does the job nicely.

Can anyone please recommend one?

Cheers,

Gray

ajm007

Did you have any luck in finding one of these tv's? I have found one in my local Matalan store but haven't been able to find out if it can play divX files but it does have a usb port so chances are that it may.

WalterWood

Standard Member
As a fellow Essex Man, though I'd add my two-penceworth (always feel sorry for people who don't get much response)

You don't say what size screen you're after, but if a 19 / 20" widescreen is what you are after then DMTECH do a range - just Google the name. Currys, Comet & Dixons all do some of them. There are smaller ones but I'd guess that's not what you desire. As for the DivX capability, I've just purchased a 19" LV19XV model from Dixons on-line last Friday and received it yesterday. It's got that feature plus many others, is HD-Ready and a much better spec. generally than many other 'similar' Combi's on the market (and boy, have I done some research!)

Best of all, via a Link on this site I found a special Discount Code that worked on the Dixons On-Line checkout, reducing the £399 list price to £279!?!?!?! Absolutely NO CATCH, just type in DM279 where it asks if you have any promotional codes. With the money saved I treated myself to a 5 Year Warranty for £99, which I think might be prudent. After all, it is two bits of kit in one, AND my unit is going to be based in our kitchen in reach of the kids.

I just hope that it's going to be OK...was a little bit wary of DMTECH, since the 17" version that this is replacing went wrong just 3 years after purchase (see my "Freezing" post elsewhere) and I can't find anyone who can help with it. Another reason I went for the Warranty.

Orinoco

As a fellow Essex Man, though I'd add my two-penceworth (always feel sorry for people who don't get much response)

You don't say what size screen you're after, but if a 19 / 20" widescreen is what you are after then DMTECH do a range - just Google the name. Currys, Comet & Dixons all do some of them. There are smaller ones but I'd guess that's not what you desire. As for the DivX capability, I've just purchased a 19" LV19XV model from Dixons on-line last Friday and received it yesterday. It's got that feature plus many others, is HD-Ready and a much better spec. generally than many other 'similar' Combi's on the market (and boy, have I done some research!)

Best of all, via a Link on this site I found a special Discount Code that worked on the Dixons On-Line checkout, reducing the £399 list price to £279!?!?!?! Absolutely NO CATCH, just type in DM279 where it asks if you have any promotional codes. With the money saved I treated myself to a 5 Year Warranty for £99, which I think might be prudent. After all, it is two bits of kit in one, AND my unit is going to be based in our kitchen in reach of the kids.

I just hope that it's going to be OK...was a little bit wary of DMTECH, since the 17" version that this is replacing went wrong just 3 years after purchase (see my "Freezing" post elsewhere) and I can't find anyone who can help with it. Another reason I went for the Warranty.

Also looking to get one of these, just a quick question are these wall mountable? Looked around and it seems have a fixed base for table top mounting, however I need to put my on the wall in my sons bedroom

Thanks

Tony

Chris The Ninja

As for the DivX capability, I've just purchased a 19" LV19XV model from Dixons on-line last Friday and received it yesterday. It's got that feature plus many others, is HD-Ready and a much better spec. generally than many other 'similar' Combi's on the market (and boy, have I done some research!)

What is the vertical viewing angle like? And the audio/video sync on Freeview? I bought a similar type of TV the other week and had to take it back because the picture was unwatchable only a few degrees off axis on the horizontal AND the audio/video sync was out on the Freeview.

WalterWood

Standard Member
Also looking to get one of these, just a quick question are these wall mountable? Looked around and it seems have a fixed base for table top mounting, however I need to put my on the wall in my sons bedroom

Thanks

Tony

Yep, it's definately wall mountable with a suitable bracket - or to quote the Manual, "VESA Mount Interface 75mm Standard". (75mm is the distance between the screw holes) The 19" model weighs 5kg.

A word of warning: the matching base supplied for tabletop mounting is large and stable but, unlike their earlier models, it DOES NOT allow the screen to be swivelled. In fact, if you try, the whole thing unscrews and can topple over. Rather stupid and annoying actually, so for any potential purchasers, factor in a suitably articulated wall mount unless you are sure you only want to use the thing in one fixed position!

WalterWood

Standard Member
What is the vertical viewing angle like? And the audio/video sync on Freeview? I bought a similar type of TV the other week and had to take it back because the picture was unwatchable only a few degrees off axis on the horizontal AND the audio/video sync was out on the Freeview.

I'm finding the viewing angles are fine, but we currently just have ours sat on a waist level kitchen unit. I've tried squatting down on your behalf (!) and would be quite happy watching something at floor level, about 75 degrees below horizontal...dunno if that's any help?

As for the Freeview synching, we watch via a remote SKY box connected only by boosted co-ax cable and have no complaints, but if I get a chance I'll take it round to the neighbours and check the set's own Freeview.

So far, I'm pretty pleased with this telly! :smashin:

Chris The Ninja

Cheers Walter, good to hear about the viewing angle! If you do get the chance that would be great, if not I may just take a punt and send it back if its no good.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom