1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LCD - Does higher res mean less screen door, future 1080 panels?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by zoolap, Nov 25, 2004.

1. zoolap

zoolap

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Am I right in assuming that the common panels of modern lcd projectors squeeze in the number of pixels into roughly the same space:

e.g. HS20 panel vs epson panel used by ae700/z3 etc

Certainly the Hitachi TX100 had much more apparent screen door at same distance from screen than HS20 that I saw.

What I'm trying to get at is: when they release 1080p based lcd projectors (e.g. based on the recently announced epson panels) will that mean that screen door becomes less apparent. If they are fitting a higher number of pixels in the same size panel then I would have thought that inter-pixel gap would be smaller. If this was the case then we would not then need the likes of smooth screen hence potentially giving us sharper picture.

Apologies if it sounds a bit muddled, but I'm sure many of you clever people will be able to figure it out :D

Was just looking at this:

http://www.epson.co.jp/e/newsroom/news_2004_06_28.htm

and noticed it refers to pixel pitch - I assume this refers to size of pixel rather than telling us anything about interpixel gap.

2. Oakleyspatz

Oakleyspatz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +231
    Basically, yes. The higher the resolution, the more and thus smaller pixels make up the image and the less you'll see 'screendoor'. For example, a 800x600 VGA resolution LCD will certainly show more pixelation than an XGA resolution one. The Panasonic's smooth screen technology is probably the best going and pixelation is non-existent, even inches from the screen. The picture still looks very sharp and Sony's new H50 is reported to look stunning when displaying a HD signal with minimal pixelation visable.

3. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    'Pixel pitch' does indeed measure the pixel spacing, though exactly what it's measuring I don't know .. for CRTs one used to look for 24mm pitch for good-quality, high-density pixel structure.

4. red16v

red16v

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi KraGorn - I assume you mean 0.24mm ! Regards, yt.

5. CooperUK

CooperUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +287
    Maybe he sits a very long way away from a gigantic screen?

6. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    :p

Indeed, I did mean .24mm

A thought on the topic here .. it all depends of course on whether the 1080 panels are the same size as current 1280x720 (0.7 inch IIRC) as to whether screen-door will continue to diminish. I've no idea if they've reached the technological limit to pixel packing density.

7. stuthemong

stuthemong

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    im sure i read they were going to 0.9" on the epson site, though i may be wrong.

there is no reason why smaller pixels can obtain smaller interpixel gaps, but given its something consumers hate, they will no doubt be striving hard to reduce this - but i wouldnt say it was a knock on effect of more pixels in a display - just a drive to improve the tech.

you can almost be certain that in 1 years time the lcd panels will be noticably improved over the current best of field.