1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LCD/DLP Question/Help

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by dazca1, Nov 13, 2004.

1. dazca1

dazca1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I am totally new to projectors, dont own one(in the market though) and I'm sick of them already :(
    Like a lot of people on here I read the forum threads and reviews from the likes of PJ central. This has made my head spin.
    I have had different advice from a number dealers, one will tell me that DLP is what I need and the next will tell me that LCD has got its act together so I should get one of those.
    I need a projector very soon and need to know what to get.

My choices are (after my head stopped spinning, resolution, VB, rainbow and all that crap you have to take into account)
    Optoman H57
    Infocus 5700(at the right price)
    Sony HS50
    Sanyo Z3
    Now there are 2 of each type(DLP/LCD) What should I get?
    These are within my budget nearly.
    I know there are a couple which are not out yet but will be soon, I dont want anyone throwing into the mix what mybe coming out next year (dont want my head battered any more than it already is) just need advice on these :) .

Should I get the Z3 which will tide me over until the better highdef ready PJs become more affordable (2 years ish) or get something better now (are they better)
    I have seen both LCD and DLP running (none of mentioned exept 5700) and dont know how people can choose, they both look sh$t hot to me (suffer slightly with rainbow on 4x colour wheel speed, eg 4805 and non on 5700)

IMO people seem to worry about to much about nothing with regards to projectors, does anyone actually enjoy them? it seem that an awful lot have nothing better to do than slag them off.
    I dont know and dont care which is the better technology as the both look good to me.
    All I need to know is what to spend my money on and why (nothing 2 technical though please) plain english that joe bloggs on the street can understand.

Hope someone out there can help :lease:

2. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    There's your answer - if you've seen them running, can't find any obvious difference between them, then pick one of them and enjoy it. You've asked not to be advised to "wait and see", but if you have the patience, then the HS50 should be worth seeing - the few reports there have been (and I don't mean projectorcentral, although they gave it good press, iScan promotion notwithstanding...) suggest that it will present a step-change in performance. If you want a straightforward recommendation out of the models you've listed, then I'd see the HS50 first.

As for

... you're reading comments/opinoins/advice from enthusiasts, people who want to get the best picture quality available from whatever projector they're getting. Does anyone actually enjoy them ? Are you mad ? Of course we do - you don't put 1000 hours a year (or more, or less for that matter) on a projector looking for faults or tweaking. My projector is over 2 years old and it's picture performance would be surpassed by any of the current models - this doesn't mean that it looks any different now than it did when I bought it (tweaking etc aside), and I still get a tremendous buzz from watching movies on the big screen.

If you're unconcerned by the minutiae of the technical side and you just want fine big images then any of the projectors you've listed above will turn your propellor just fine.

Sean G.

3. Kahless725

Kahless725

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you decide the LCD path:-

I have a z3, if you have a budget of arround £1300 then I would highly reccomend it (its my first projector and I find the picture to be amazing with no negative effects) for the £1300 you get a screen as well.

If your budget is £2000 then I would wait and see what the Sony HS50 is like before buying as you only have a week or two to wait. (The budget of £2000 covering a screen)

If your budget is below £1000 then I would reccomend you dem the Hitachi HX100, teh Sanyo Z2 and the Panasonic Ae500 but I imagine it will be the Hitachi as this seems a step up from the Ae500 and the other LCD's from last year.

If your going DLP then I am sure people will be allong to reccomend some as I have only seen one and I suffer from rainbows I cant comment.

Cheers

Robert

4. dazca1

dazca1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks guys, keep em coming :)
    Why do people slag LCD though, I honestly from the ones Ive seen think they look great.

5. Kahless725

Kahless725

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Actually scratch the budged of £1000 idea as the screen will cost you another £200 making it only £100 shy of the Z3 with free screen.

6. Kahless725

Kahless725

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think people slag LCD off cos they cant see rainbows on DLP and most DLP seem to have the native res that uk tv and dvds are and the blacks on DLP are meant to be better and the screendoor effect is meant to be non existent so.

If you dont see rainbows.
    U dont mind not having a HDTV capable projector (by that I mean 1280x720 as some DLP will scale HDTV down)

Then DLP from what I have read will give you a better picture with todays uk material.

I suffer from rainbows and just wanted a big picture which looked good and did not suffer any artifacts that I had seen mentioned in the Panasonic Ae700 forum. I got what I wanted with the Z3 so I am happy.

Robert.

7. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,953
    Both have their pros and cons, and some people prefer the image one technology has over the other, so the only way to tell, is to narrow down a few that are recommended, then go and demo. Pick one that looks best to you and is in budget.

The H50 does seem like a groundbreaking pj for the money though, so if that's within your budget, do wait and try to see one.

Gary.

8. Oakleyspatz

Oakleyspatz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    I think for a first time buy, A Sanyo Z3 will be just fine. DLP projectors do, usually, have better contrast, less screendoor problems and better, more natural colours. But these differences are really only visible to someone who's had a fare amount of experience with Projectors. The rainbow problem on the other hand, can rear it's ugly head to anyone and not always straight away. You may find your first few movies are all fine, then there will be one specific movie that the rainbows are all over the place so you have to be really sure you don't suffer because if later discover you do, then you will REALLY suffer !!
    The screendoor problem in the latest LCD projectors is all but gone, the Panasonic if not for it's VB issue would be the very best LCD projector for lack of screendoor. You just cannot see it. At all. Period ! The Z3 is close behind, and is not really an issue unless you will be sitting very close to the screen or displaying a very large image and even then it will only show itself intermittently.
    The Z3 has a contrast ratio of 2000:1 which is plenty . More than most Plasma TVs, it's bright and stupidly cheap for it's specification. With the free 16:9 screen, there really isn't a better first projector to buy at the moment with the least chance of finding problems once purchased ( VB, Rainbows etc.) It has high resolution and is an attractive piece of kit to boot.
    I have no doubt that if you purchase the Z3, you'll be one very big happy bunny and can settle down to enjoying movies, and not finding fault in the display unit!!

9. martian1

martian1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +241
    ok ..mr sanyo! :rolleyes:

10. Oakleyspatz

Oakleyspatz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    Funny that ! I actually own a recently bought Infocus SP4805 so my advice is based purely on dazca1's situation.
    Mr Sanyo?
    More like honest Mr Infocus !

11. dazca1

dazca1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks again guys :)