Lcd Contrast Ratios

jamct

Established Member
Reaction score
I am about to buy a 23" or 26" LCD TV for the conservatory and being a 'bright' room I am wondering how important 'CONTRAST RATIOS are?

The range of ratios specified for different models is vary dramatically e.g.

Sony KDL26T3000 - 8000:1

Sony KDL26S3000 - 6000:1

Sharp LC26AD5E - 1200:1

Toshiba 26C3030 -700:1

Do different manufacturers use different criteria?, does the highest ratio give a better picture, like deeper blacks etc. Comments welcome. :lease:

Do different manufacturers use different criteria?, does the highest ratio give a better picture, like deeper blacks etc. Comments welcome. :lease:

Yes, they do use different methods of measurement.

Most caliberated flat panels are lucky to have a real world contrast ratio of
1000:1.

The higher the number doesn't mean better though, for example alot of the contrast ratio may be in the lighter areas which can be very very retina burining bright, but still have poor blacks and dark area detail that look grey, but still equal a high contrast ratio on paper.

LCD's are tradionally very very bright with high contrast (white level) but can struggle with producing good solid blacks, go by your eyes and not by number ratios.

So no a higher contrast ratio doesn't give the deeper blacks or better picture thats mainly down to the accuracy of the greyscale as well as real world contrast i.e. the black level (brightness) and correct white level (contrast).

I think there is a dynamic ratio and another sort. So the one at 700 probably won't be as bad as it appears on paper. That said I'm a little confused by the whole thing myself so I'll be keeping an eye on this thread myself to hopefully learn a bit more about it myself!

Contrast ratio is a standard but it does not correlate exactly to how good the grey scale representation is.
You can increase the brightness of the backlight which will also have the corresponding effect of increasing the contrast ratio but this if anything will reduce the ability to show the dark greys.

I am about to buy a 23" or 26" LCD TV for the conservatory and being a 'bright' room I am wondering how important 'CONTRAST RATIOS are?

The range of ratios specified for different models is vary dramatically e.g.

Sony KDL26T3000 - 8000:1

Sony KDL26S3000 - 6000:1

Sharp LC26AD5E - 1200:1

Toshiba 26C3030 -700:1

I know the Sharp's contrast ratio of 1200:1 isn't a dynamic number its a static one so its actually very good.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom