• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

LCD connection to analog receiver

nhbob

Standard Member
I just bought a 47LV5500 LCD and love it. I would like to hook it up to an older Onkyo analog receiver to boost sound quality. I've tried the audio out from TV to audio on the receiver with no results. Do I have to turn OFF the TV speakers to listen through the stereo speakers?
I even tried the head phone jack with the included dongle and could just barely hear sound from the stereo speakers. This was not right.
Any help will be appreciated because I'm not getting it myself.

Thanks

StevieBuck

Prominent Member
I don’t think LG have fitted standard analogue audio outputs on their TVs for the past few years. Was it definitely an output, and not an audio input (i.e for the composite or component video connection)?

The headphone output would normally work, so not sure what the problem could be there. There may be a variable output for the headphones which you can configure through the TV menu. It may also have been an issue with your connections. What exactly is the dongle for that you refered to?

nhbob

Standard Member
I think you may be right on the outputs, StevieBuck.
I watched a youtube video from newegg.com on the connections and everything seems to be "in" and not "out".
Here's the link:

Take a look, if you can. He reviews all the connectors about 1/4 of the way through.

Is there an adapter cable available that I can use to go from HDMI on the TV to "component out" so I can go to the receiver that way with RCA jacks?

Thanks
Bob

StevieBuck

Prominent Member
The HDMI connections on the TV are primarily inputs. If the TV has ARC functionality, one of them will be able to output audio. The purpose of this feature is so that the TV can output audio to a compatible home cinema system without the need for additional audio cables. The problem is, I don’t think think there is anything available which you can use to extract the ARC stream and convert to analogue/RCA.

What I’d recommend is using an SPDIF converter, which will convert the digital signal from the TV’s optical output to analogue. You can then connect this output to your amplifier with a pair of RCA cables. Here’s an example of the type of converter you would need:

SPDIF Converter

nhbob

Standard Member
I actually found a unit very similar to the one you suggested in the Radio Shack web site. I may try it.
What I tried last night was to run RCA audio cables right from the cable box directly into the receiver. Sound was awesome, but there was an audio delay/lip sync issue. In my on line browsing on the forums, I find that this is a common issue. Perhaps it would not happen if I used the converter box you suggested.

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom