1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

lcd confused

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by seafoodmix, Feb 1, 2005.

1. seafoodmix

seafoodmix
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    over the last couple of months ive been reading mag reviews and looking of av forum trying to decide on which lcd to buy.

started with the panny tx-32lxd1 almost bought it but no hi def

then the sony mrx1 and the philips 9986 but getting too much money and some members are turning off pp2 etc to improve the pq on fast images, more confused because that's what you pay for.

then the toshiba, its cheaper and does hi def, so why pay more, but its getting mixed reviews.

currys etc in the south don't stock the above lcds so no demo and the independents have loewe and sharp only round my way.

i watch mainly digital terrestrial tv signals, play ps2 and watch the odd dvd through a pioneer dv99 with no progressive scan (does that matter), I will hopefully keep screen for 5 years or so, so feel I will wait until next screen to go hi def.

my local pub has just put up a plasma for the football and its like watching in slow motion and I don't want MOTD ruined as part of the bargain with a new lcd at £1500.

i will travel up to john lewis if they stock three worthy screens

2. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Go and see the Sharps. The GD1E screen came second to the Philips 9986. If you can get a GA3 or GA4 model, these are exactly the same as the GD1E but without the Digital tuner or external box.

I got my 32" GA3 for £1300 from JL.

Richie.

3. seafoodmix

seafoodmix
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    does having progressive scan really improve the picture quality

4. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hi Seafoodmix,

The 9986 is still The One. However, failing that the 9986's wee brother is the 9976. This does everything the 9986 does excepting that it doesn't have the Ambilight and PP2.

It runs with PP1 and with a good signal is every bit as capable as the 9986. It is fully HDTV ready and will accept Progressive Scan too. Progressive Scan produces a picture which provides smoother high speed motion and is a vastly superior way of presenting a picture on an LCD screen.

The Sharps are very good TV's too but the availabilty of the popular models seems to be a problem.

The 9976 can be had for a bit less than £1500.

Quick note on PP2. Those who chose not use the PP2 are looking for a very soft CRT-like picture. This is fine, but the PP2 in full swing is awesome. I personally run it at the Movie Plus setting which knocks back some of the full PP2 processing and produces a beautiful, natural image. If you can stretch that extra £300+ it is worth it.

Jimmy

5. seafoodmix

seafoodmix
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thank for the help richjthorpe and jimsan, my all in one pioneer does not have progressive scan, am i wasting money trying to use it to feed an lcd pq wise. dont really want to upgrade to separates because of convinience of all in one.

6. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    You'll find that the PQ with the standard scart connection is still excellent. Progressive Scan really only makes its presence felt when the action gets fast. It produces a less jerky/flickery picture. No visible difference during still sequences.

Jimmy