Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

LCD Comparison

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by gpc1, Nov 30, 2004.

Tags:
  1. gpc1

gpc1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

I have drawn up a comparison table of the following screens and taken the info from the manufacturer’s websites. While the table is not definitive ( because not all the manufactures give all the same info) it has acted as good guide. I concentrated on the main features i.e. screen res and connections ect ( things like headphones and speaker wattage aren’t so important.

The screens are all around the £1100 -£1500 mark.

Philips 32pf9976
    Toshiba 32wl48
    Toshiba 32wl46
    Sharp 32GA4e

I was surprised to find that on paper the clear ‘winner’ was the Philips. ( this may be because more detailed info was available from the spec but even taking that into account the spec was pretty impressive).

But what I couldn’t believe was that the Philips had no component video. It did have HDMI though, could this be why?

I would be interested to hear from any Philips owners regarding pitfalls and probs with this TV and how you have it connected to DVD and sky.

I am now swinging away from the Tosh and the Sharp towards this model ( for 1502.99 delivered) . The price also includes a wall mounting kit and a table top stand.

Many Thanks

Gpc

Ps, please let me know if you would like me to post the comparison table for you to look at /check/advise or correct.

2. jimg

jimg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    There is a lot more than specs to look at. Most important is do you like the picture quality, this is often quite subjective and what one person likes another thinks is terrible. Are you happy with the look of the set, this is quite high on the list with many people, especially if you are married!
    You cannot beat going ans looking at the sets in operation in my opinion ( for what it is worth ), it can be quite an eye opener.

3. richjthorpe

richjthorpe
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good work fella, I was wondering what else was available instead of a Sharp (If all does go pear shape).

I agree with what jimg says but it is a starting point for people wanting to compare like for like in the realms of connections, refresh rate et al.

I'd like to see the table Gpc (You never know, it might get stickied if more LCD's are added to give a difinitive list)

Richie.

4. gpc1

gpc1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Totally agree with you, but it does help when looking at the set to know what is included ie connections. I know some people would not touch anything unles it is HDMI compatable for instance. Plus you have to think of what you are using it for, DVD's, TV, fast action sport etc.

Like i said this is just a Spec comparison. The problem i have found in my quest for a TV is that the set up in shops is naff. Poor feeds, bad display set up and poor advice from the sales rep. Thats why i asked the questions regarding probs with the philips. Its hard work trauling round various shops only to find they dont have remotes so you cant play with the settings ect.

So are there any philips owner out there with info on this TV. Maybe a setting config list so that when i go into a store i can set it up to a config that i know works for someone.

Many thanks
    Gpc

5. top_caty

top_caty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    please post of the comparison table :)

6. gpc1

gpc1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How do i post an excel spread sheet?

Gpc

7. top_caty

top_caty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You could try: saving the file in excel as a HTML file (file/save as) and uploading it to some webspace. You can then place a link in the thread to the HTML page.

Anyone else got a suggestion?