1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LCD Colours Settle In!

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Dr Pete, Jul 11, 2005.

1. Dr Pete

Dr Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was wondering if anyone else has noticed that their LCD Panel Colours seem to improve after about 1 month or so.

My Sharp 45" has definitely improved since I got it about 2 months ago. I must admit I was a tad disappointed for the first few weeks. While PC images always looked awesome, I couldn't get skin tones quite right in all situations (High def, DVD and broadcast TV). At first I put it down to the quality of inputs and crappy default settings for the screen. In order to stop people's faces almost solarising in some DVD/TV scenes I had to turn the red saturation way down. I spent a lot of time playing around with DVE to get the screen pretty good.

Now, as of the last few weeks I've been able to bring some levels closer to default. The solarisation has definitely abated. Both the missus and I think the screen looks fabulous now. Particularly with Standard Def (digital) broadcast TV (ie Aussie Rules Footy!). DVDs look awesome. Perhaps the least impressive are the HDTV broadcasts which don't look like such a huge improvement over DVD (besides all the shows being all tripe such as CSI etc. etc.)

I'm still not able to get real DEEP blood reds and hence browns don't pop like they should. Light reds are fine. Greys, steel blues and greens are fantastic. Yellows, well, are yellow! The screen has trouble with flouro oranges and yellows but maybe that's the broadcaster as I didn't have any examples on DVD.

Does anyone have any ideas on Hue, Saturation and and Value increases/decreases to Red Yellow Green Blue Cyan and Magenta settings that might improve the deep reds/browns?

A quick note on the Black level one can get with a LCD; At first I was a little disappointed with that as well. It being most noticable during night-time viewing in a dark room. And then I went to the cinema! Having a mindset of looking for black level, I noticed my LCD certainly did as well if not better than your average cinema projector/screen!

2. Rob Sheep

Rob Sheep
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dr Pete,

Very true! My Toshiba took a while to settle down. I've since been told that its a good idea to leave it turned on for several hours when you first start to use it and don't touch the settings. I don't know if there is any truth in this? I use large LCDs at work and they have improved over several days, the green tint seems to disappear.

I found that every time I turned on my Tosh I would end up playing with the settings, I will have to go through it all again today as I'm getting a replacement set. :clap:

3. Dr Pete

Dr Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So its not just me then. I think the saturation levels settle athough I have not idea what physical process is behind that.

Bummer on your dud Tosh Rob, I hope the replacement works out.

4. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Yup, they settle gradually for quite a few weeks. Biggest difference in the first week or two.

Jimmy