1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LCD buyers being ripped off?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by oxygenuk, Dec 11, 2004.

1. oxygenuk

oxygenuk
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
  2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,031
    Never read so much drivel in my life.

3. jackylad

jackylad
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So all he's seen is crap set-ups in the retailers then?

4. hechizero

hechizero

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sounds a little ill informed, spiced with a little envy... :D If this chap had his way we would still be sitting in trees doing sweet fa all day. Also if he wants to trundle around bricks and mortar, then ammunition for his argument is around. Old stocks, with last years prices and much poorer quality, without question. If, however, he bothered at any point to go online and do some real investigative work, he would find that the progress that has been made in the past year is nothing short of impressive.
    That includes pricing having come down by up to 50% and quality going up by well over 50% in some aspects. As the first phrase of his column asks "HAVE PEOPLE become 'stupider' in recent times?", reading the rest of his drivel has confirmed that some people definately have...:zonked:

Original article:

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=19317

5. jerkyboy

jerkyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have been through at least 10 CRT's over the last 2 years. All had problems ranging from very poor geometry, Lines on the screen, poor convergence etc etc.

I finally went out and spent £1500 on a 30" Sharp LCD and I am constanty blown away by the picture quality.

Apart from the blacks not being true black I simply cannot fault it. Blows away any CRT I have ever seen, especially when you feed it a Hi-Def signal,,, AWESOME.

nuff said

6. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    The article has already done the rounds since being published on 27 October 2004. I stand by my comment that it is 12-18 months out of date.

7. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,031
    jerkyboy Spot on......

8. oxygenuk

oxygenuk
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    So the news reporter guy is basically just chatting aload of b*ll*cks then :lol:

9. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Actually a load of old bo11ox, one year old to be precise.

10. Deep-6

Deep-6

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Well, I can certainly relate to the overused credit card piece... :blush:

But like the rest of you I couldn't be happier with my lcd purchase, and can't wait for hidef tv!

11. Skiny

Skiny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hahaha. I thought that article had been written about 2 years ago until I saw the date. The person who wrote that clearly hasn't got a clue about what he's talking about.

I think he wants an LCD TV but can't get one :)

It's wrong & CRTs suck.

12. iSix

iSix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, yes, has he seen the size of new housing developments recently? I've seen bigger shoeboxes.
    He obviously dosen't have a clue what he's talking about, because you get less screen glare from an LCD than you would with a CRT, and LCD's (actually, CRT's too) look better with ambient lighting, rather than being sat in the dark.

Article = total tripe.

13. DEANO-B

DEANO-B
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I recently upgraded my trusty old Tosh rear projection to a Panny 700 projector. I looked at the other options which were plasma/LCD and was not impressed. The magazine reviews seemed to praise both systems and the main critisism came from the TV show 'The Gadget Show', which said what the link above said, which is basically a matter of respond times in ms. I tried to like them - but honestly found them to be dreadfull. I even went with my mate to the Sony shop and saw a £9000 plasma and we both thought as my mate said ' like watching a picture covered in vaseline '. Now my point is though this - Do retailers set their machines up right? I've seen my Panny 700 projector in a shop and I felt like crying it was setup so poorly! I'm not here to slag off LCDs/plasma's - I'm here to ask if you think the person who wrote the article has only seen poorly setup systems like myself or is he just an idiot?

14. Skiny

Skiny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    He's just an idiot. If he's only ever seen a poorly set up LCD, he shouldn't be writting an article on them. Pretty much everything in that article was wrong, so don't believe it. Like any display (CRT, Rear Projection, etc) if it's not set up properly, it's going to look terrible. The article is so bad I thought it might have been a joke when I first read it.

"Right now, most are in the 20-30ms range" - The very slowest LCD TV I've seen was 25ms unbranded one. The slowest you really get these days is 16ms, but even with 25ms pannels, ghosting is minimal.

By him saying you get lots of screen glare off an LCD TV, just shows how dumb he really is.

15. iSix

iSix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Both :p

16. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    Hallelujah! to the man who wrote the softpedia article - another twist on the Emperors New Clothes, a refreshingly honest piece. I have been saying similar for some time now, but as with any democracy all I get is abuse and shouted down. My brother-in-law has the latest Sony LCD reckoned to be one of the finest on the market, and yes it has been expertly set-up, yet the brother-in-law would be the first to admit that his Sony CRT now in the other room, still has the edge, and at a fraction of the price. I do think that LCD will get there - one day, but for the moment, both on price and quality the smart money is to do nothing. Cue the abuse for uttering heresy

17. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I suspect it would be best to let this thread drop as I feel it is about to turn into a rediculous slanging match on a subject that is purely subjective.

A well set up LCD is a joy to behold - badly set up one is diabolical. CRT's allow people, who don't want to get involved in the complexities of this new technology, the facility to watch decent pictures easily.

This discussion has been started with a dreadfully misinformed article which would have had more impact if the chap who wrote it had researched it properly beforehand. It really doesn't deserve this much attention.

Merry Xmas.

Jimmy

18. BabyCakes

BabyCakes
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I totally agree. People are blinded by the sleek thin panels and ignore the picture quality.

Sure CRT has geometry issues but so do the camera's that film the images.

19. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Oh Dear Oh Dear....

Jimmy

20. LiquidTV

LiquidTV
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Nothing more to add

21. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    Because you don't agree does not make it a load of **** Such responses smack to me of people who cannot articulate or participate effectively in debate. I sometimes make purchases where others fail to see the value of them, do I come out with expletives etc ? no I either say to each his own, or if I feel strongly about the subject then I try to persuade others of the merits of my actions by reasoned debate. It would make a refreshing change if others on this forum did likewise. How's about making it a New Years resolution.

22. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    Whilst on the subject of LCD panels. The source I mentioned on another thread who works for a very well known LCD manufacturer (I say no more because I don't want to drop my friend in it) has told me that late spring early summer will see further significant reductions in the price of the larger panel LCD's. That's all I can say, if it doesn't happen then no doubt someone will remind me of this at the time.

23. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Liquid TV, why did you do that? Print the whole thing again?

Let it go...please. It's not worth it.

Jimmy

24. Skiny

Skiny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    But the guy is simply wrong. It doesn't matter about people’s personal opinions, because most of what he's written is out of date, and makes no sense in the 2004.

Well they are.
    Wrong. A HiDef LCD will probably look a lot better than the latest CRTs. If you compare the cheapest CRT with the most expensive LCD, there is obviously going to be a big gap in price.
    What year is this guy living in? You can buy a decent 32" for well under £1500, and bigger for little over £2k.
    No.
    They already have, fool.
    Yet more proof that this guy has no idea what he's talking about. 16ms is average.
    A viewing angle of 170° is more than enough.
    Even 150° is plenty. Who really wants to watch a TV at an angle like that anyway? Yet again he is wrong.
    This last bit really sums up what a misinformed asshole he really is. LCDs produce almost no screen glare at all.

25. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    Well, I have had the benefit of observing LCD and CRT operating side by side - both Sony models which are reckoned to be second to none, expertly set-up, both receiving televised broadcasts as opposed to the usual DVD they like to show us in the stores. Having watched both side by side for some time, I still maintain that as good as the Sony LCD is, and it is good, the most natural looking and pleasant screen to watch is the CRT. Given the responses in this thread, I can only assume that detractors from this view e.g. Skiny, are owners of LCD's and as such all reasoned debate has to be extinguished lest any doubt regarding the wiseness of such a purchase be brought into question.

26. SeaneyC

SeaneyC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    IMHO the LCD will always lose out to CRT if you're showing interlaced broadcast images, purely because any type of de-interlacing "jiggery pokery". I also believe the CRT will also still give the best picture quality, but only at the very highest end of the scale, at which point LCDs and CRT direct views are very similarly priced. In the same vein, i mainly watch movies off DVD, where de-interlacing is painfully simple, and i also mainly watch in the evenings, and see no point having a tiny 30" screen that i can watch during the day when i can have a giant 92" screen for less money with virtually identical PQ. If i really want to watch TV then my 17" TFT PC monitor is fine.

27. jimg

jimg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Faust,
    Of course many of us have bought LCD TV's and usually we have all have had a CRT set before! In fact we have probably owned several CRT's and seen the technology reach a plateau.
    I certainly did not buy my Sharp 37" on a whim, £2300 saw to that. I have been watching plasma and LCD technology progress for a very long time and fairly recently have been participating in this forum where I have learnt quite a lot. At the end of the day I personnally decided that LCD's had more advantages than disadvantages and decided to buy. You are not ready yet, and we all know that now, but please let the rest of share our knowledge and assist others who are still learning. They will decide for themselves if the time is right!

28. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    Yes you are right I am not ready to purchase LCD right now, and why? because I think that there is still some way to go in the fine tuning (pardon the pun) of LCD technology, not to mention prices, which are now starting to fall. As I said in a previous thread, I was drinking with an R&D bod in the North of England last week who works for Philips LG, his advice - wait perhaps another year at the most, then take the plunge. I think not to take advice like this from the horses mouth would smack of ill informed arrogance.

29. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    One of the problems that is being demonstrated here by many of the contributors, which is common, is a complete blinkering to the future. If you want to buy a new TV what do you do?

Broadcast technology is racing ahead and if you are in a position where you are purchasing a new TV you would be a fool not to research what is 'up the road' technologically speaking.

If you buy a CRT television now then you are effectively closing the door on any opportunity of enjoying the increasingly iminent advancements coming our way.

I have witnessed what HiDef TV is like and it's a revelation. If you choose to purchase a CRT TV now and you care about the quality of what you are watching then you really will be mighty hacked off in a couple of years time when you will have to consider upgrading to a flat panel.

So, to sum this whole thread up, there are many of us who feel that the advantages of the best LCD's available now do genuinely outweigh the advantages of CRT's. We are purchasing a product now that works very well, not only now, but for many years to come.

CRT's are are on their death bed...

Jimmy

I have just read Fausts input above and I am interested to see that he, and his R&D buddy, feel that perhaps another year would be the right amount of time to wait......hmmm. I must say the obvious....It's been common throughout this thread....this time next year, I have to agree, flat panel technology will have improved. However, I suspect that if this thread is still going then, and at this rate it may, we will be saying the same thing! Wait another year, wait another year etc. The line has to be drawn somewhere. If you want to buy now, do the research and go for it! Because it'll be the same story in 12 months......or twenty four months....

30. Skiny

Skiny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    By viewing regular TV broadcasts, you're giving the CRT a huge edge, because it's going to be at the CRTs native resoloution (or close too). The image would of had to be stretched alot to fit the LCD, resulting in a much lower picture quality. You wouldn't say CRT was giving the better picture if a HD movie was being shown.

I have both CRTs and LCDs in my house, and the LCD looks the best by far. LCD is the way to go from now on, no matter what you say. The only thing that looks better on CRT is lower res video, like video tapes and bad quality TV channels.

There is never a right time to buy technology. This time next year, people will say the same thing "just wait another year...". Things will always improve, so you have to jump in somewhere.