1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LCD Black Levels - Still Confused

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Ramspeed, Jul 29, 2005.

1. Ramspeed

Ramspeed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    I've brought this up before and I'm bringing it up again. LCD TV's seem at last to have got the whole motion blur/smearing thing sussed. That's great. But you read constant complaints on this forum about black levels. I myself have tested the lastest sets (Panny 500/JVC DS6 etc) and yes the black levels could be alot better. Why does it have to be like this?

I have a new Toshiba laptop with a 15.4" widescreen. The screen is coated in some way to enhance the black level. Sony uses the X-Black coating on their computer screens to produce a similar effect. The results are splendid. The black levels on my Tosh laptop viewing WMVHD movie clips are fantastic. Better even than my rather pricey Sony wega CRT. Why on earth don't the LCD TV manufacturers use the same coating? I'm stumped. It seems so simple. What's the problem??

2. sandstheman

sandstheman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    The problem with the coating is reflections, as it stands LCD TV's as they are now, hardly have any problems at all with reflection which means you can pretty much mount them in any kind of room.

When you add the extra 'X-Black' coatings, reflections can be horrendous, on laptops it's not so much an issue as it's a small screen, and the user will usually block most reflections, but scale that up to a 37,45" LCD and you will start having problems. The easiest way to see this is to have a look if you can at the Mirror LCD's or Plasmas, the ones that mimic a mirror when turned off, have a look at the reflections you get even when they are turned on, and you'll get an idea of the problem (although they will be at the extreme end of the scale)

I agree that the coatings would make a difference, but you need to weigh that up against having limited placement for your LCD.

3. braveknight

braveknight

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am also surprised that the 'black' coatings haven't found their way on to more TV LCDs. But I am also glad that they haven't. IMHO reflections are a much bigger problem than black levels - as long as you setup correctly, so that low level signals are differentiated from 'black', you don't lose detail. Although deeper blacks help low-level detail, any reflections destroy the ability to see them.

Black levels and low level detail on good LCDs is very good IMO, and have no reflections to distract you.