1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LCD, better for me?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Scottola, Jul 4, 2004.

1. Scottola

Scottola

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I was going to get a plasma TV (Panasonic TH-42WD6 seemed a good choice, after a bit of research), but I keep reading about potential screen burn with static images, etc.

I play a lot of games have a reputation for falling asleep playing late in the evening and waking up to the title screen in the wee small hours. and am slightly worried that I'm going to knacker a plasma.

I found this as well http://www.rgbdirect.co.uk/ProductD...&ReferrerCode=1 , which is Sharp LC37AD1E+ FREE DVHR300H 80GB HDD/DVD Recorder for £3359. This seems a really good price in my opinion and I am very tempted.

The Sharp LC37HV4E looks kind of nice too.

Does anyone have experience with or own either of these two?

2. nealb

nealb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Go for LCD if you are going to be playing games and falling asleep!

I bought a 23" philips and it's great, watched the foorie on it tonight outside with a freeview box. Really good.

Contrast isn't as good on most LCD's and blur can sometimes be seen but it isn't bad. Both these will be sorted soon i would have thought.

The sharps are really good. Only reason I didn't get one was in the screen size the resolution wasnt hot and it didnt have a PC input. I have heard that the freeview built into these also isn't that fantastic - missing features.

If you can go for a screen with seperate freewiew etc - especially if getting a DVD recorder as earie to record of it etc.

I know unbeatable are selling philips big screens with DVD recorders at very good value - I got the 23" with DVDR70 for about £1080. Not too bad.

Personally I think the Sony WEGA Engine sets are the LCD's to get. They just come at a price... always a catch.

3. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,467
    Scottola

Have a look at the programmable timer options you get within the User menu of a PWD6 - you may find it easy enough to programme the display to go to standby or run a screen saver mode about the same time as you usually fall asleep!!!

Also the PWD7 units due for release in September are supposed to rival CRT TV's as far as susceptibility (or lack of) to screen burn goes.

Best regards

Joe