1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LCD Backlighting

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by ase001, Dec 1, 2004.

1. ase001

ase001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    From experience with Laptops and LCD monitors the rear backlighting appears to be high on the list of components which fail.

Question if true for LCD TV's

1. Are they easy to replace, can a competent user do it?
    2. Are they expensive?
    3. How long will parts be available, I expect to keep my next TV 10+ years?

Also what is deemed to be acceptable number of damaged pixels visible on the screen? On Laptops we specify three as the max and are not in the main viewable area i.e central area. Can I expect zero pixel faults and what are my consumer rights in this area?

2. Laurel&Hardy

Laurel&Hardy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In answer...

1. No, it's not easy - but a person who is competent around electronic gear could do it. you have to completely dismantle the LCD screen to get to the backlights. On a 32" there's 16 of them! Also, replacing one is no good because, unless the screen is very new, it will more than likely be a different colour to the older ones inside the screen, so when one goes it's a case of replace all. It is also dead easy to damage the LCD screen itself - it is a thin plate of glass so you can imagine how easy that can be to break.

2. Never priced them up myself. Because they are pure white cold cathode flourescent tubes though I wouldn't think they would be very cheap.

3. That is entirely down to the company that builds the LCD panel. Knowing how quickly LCD TV's seem to be going out of production, 6 months seems to be an average life from what I have seen, I would not be surprised to find that parts are very hard to get. But again I stress it depends on the manufacturer. Since I have never tried I can't comment on the ease of access to parts fro LCD displays. All I have done is strip a broken one apart just for my own personal curiosity. Also the point of it lasting 10+ years. In theory with LCD this is possible, but the backlights yellow over time so this will become an annoyance over the lifetime of the set.

Consumer rights concerning LCD screens...well that I'm not sure about. Personally I am a zero screen defects person, so any defect pixels means a trip back to the shop I got it from for a replacement.

3. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    Moving to lcd forum.

4. ase001

ase001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I think I need to ponder the pro's and con's a while longer, £2000+ investment on a TV with a possible sub 10 year life is difficult to justify with the other half. Thanks for the reply.