1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LCD Backlight Uneven

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by David Mackenzie, Sep 14, 2004.

1. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    My Sony KLV26HG2 has a mildly irritating uneven backlight problem. Basically I get lighter patches in the top right, and less annoying ones in the top left and bottom right.

Is there anything at all I can do about this? For example would Sony accept replacements based on this or is it hard to avoid?

2. ogracer

ogracer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i'm no expert but from lcd computer monitors i've used, cheap and expensive, they suffer from this aswell. I think it has to do with globe positioning behind the panel.

3. hechizero

hechizero

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How long have you had the screen running? Also, would it possible to post a pic of the problem. Normally on a "black" background you would notice different brightness levels in different areas, also dependent on viewing position though. Is there a manual backlight setting? This could help in adjusting the backlight for better viewing results.

4. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    I've not had the screen running for long at all, I only got it 4 days ago. Obviously it's a lot more noticeable against a black background and when the room lights are dimmed.

I'll try to get a picture.

5. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,975
    It isn't likely to be the backlight; more probable is unevenness in the LCD's polarising filter. Quite hard to get them perfect and cost-effective at the same time, I guess.

If it bothers you so much, and you bought it by Internet or Phone (Mail Order) then you could opt to use your rights under the Distance Selling Regulations - but be quick; you have seven days.

Choose a replacement and you might end up with one with an "acceptable" number of bad pixels instead; this would, I suspect, be much worse.

If it isn't hugely irritating, just ignore it.

6. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    Very well put advice, it's not really that irritating. Miraculously I have zero dead pixels on this, so I could do a lot worse.

7. bodyfodder

bodyfodder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How do you find games consoles on this screen? Better than a standard crt?
    Im looking into buying a small lcd as the geometry on my tosh is sending me crazy! :suicide:

8. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    Games consoles look great for the most part. My Dreamcast through RGB SCART is very good and my NTSC Gamecube is connected through S-Video which surprisingly looks very good, but I'll be replacing this with a Component cable as soon as I can afford the cable and a switcher to save me unplugging my DVD player each time I want to play it.

The down side is that very fast moving games can confuse the set's deinterlacer. A good example of this is I-Ninja on the GameCube, it runs at 60 frames per second and contains a lot of screen shaking effects which show up interlacing artifacts. Sadly, the GameCube version doesn't support Progressive Scan so there's nothing I can do about it. It doesn't make the game unplayable or anything, it's just a small inconvenience and reason to get annoyed at the developers for for not including progressive as an option.

Of course, that's a problem with all LCDs (and I imagine plasmas too?) and this set seems better than most at deinterlacing.

9. bodyfodder

bodyfodder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply. Might go and have a look at one of these. :thumbsup: