LCD Backlight Uneven

David Mackenzie

Ex Member
Reaction score
My Sony KLV26HG2 has a mildly irritating uneven backlight problem. Basically I get lighter patches in the top right, and less annoying ones in the top left and bottom right.

Is there anything at all I can do about this? For example would Sony accept replacements based on this or is it hard to avoid?

i'm no expert but from lcd computer monitors i've used, cheap and expensive, they suffer from this aswell. I think it has to do with globe positioning behind the panel.

How long have you had the screen running? Also, would it possible to post a pic of the problem. Normally on a "black" background you would notice different brightness levels in different areas, also dependent on viewing position though. Is there a manual backlight setting? This could help in adjusting the backlight for better viewing results.

I've not had the screen running for long at all, I only got it 4 days ago. Obviously it's a lot more noticeable against a black background and when the room lights are dimmed.

I'll try to get a picture.

It isn't likely to be the backlight; more probable is unevenness in the LCD's polarising filter. Quite hard to get them perfect and cost-effective at the same time, I guess.

If it bothers you so much, and you bought it by Internet or Phone (Mail Order) then you could opt to use your rights under the Distance Selling Regulations - but be quick; you have seven days.

Choose a replacement and you might end up with one with an "acceptable" number of bad pixels instead; this would, I suspect, be much worse.

If it isn't hugely irritating, just ignore it.

Very well put advice, it's not really that irritating. Miraculously I have zero dead pixels on this, so I could do a lot worse.

How do you find games consoles on this screen? Better than a standard crt?
Im looking into buying a small lcd as the geometry on my tosh is sending me crazy! :suicide:

Games consoles look great for the most part. My Dreamcast through RGB SCART is very good and my NTSC Gamecube is connected through S-Video which surprisingly looks very good, but I'll be replacing this with a Component cable as soon as I can afford the cable and a switcher to save me unplugging my DVD player each time I want to play it.

The down side is that very fast moving games can confuse the set's deinterlacer. A good example of this is I-Ninja on the GameCube, it runs at 60 frames per second and contains a lot of screen shaking effects which show up interlacing artifacts. Sadly, the GameCube version doesn't support Progressive Scan so there's nothing I can do about it. It doesn't make the game unplayable or anything, it's just a small inconvenience and reason to get annoyed at the developers for for not including progressive as an option.

Of course, that's a problem with all LCDs (and I imagine plasmas too?) and this set seems better than most at deinterlacing.

Thanks for the reply. Might go and have a look at one of these. :thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom