1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LCD backlight production line problems Philips: 26pf9946/26pf9956 series

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Poekie, Feb 2, 2005.

1. Poekie

Poekie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Recently I bought a 26pf9956 LCD TV from Philips and I noticed that after the screen has been switched on for about 20 – 30 minutes there is backlight bleeding in the lower left corner of the screen. Especially in dark scenes of a movie this is very noticeable and can be rather annoying. I contacted my dealer about this problem and I received a replacement screen, unfortunately this screen had the same backlight problems.

(See attached images or www.streamium.info)

At a Dutch home cinema discussion website I read there were many complaints about this screen, all related to white spots in the left lower corner of the screen.

There seem to be problems with the production line of this screen, however Philips stated that backlight bleeding like this is very common for LCD televisions and goes together with the technology.

Is this correct? Should I, and many other users of the 99pfxx series, accept this standard of quality or is the product just faulty? I have no experience with LCD TV’s before. I am very disappointment in the backlight issues of this screen and I was wondering if other brands suffer from the same problems.

Can someone help me out?

Attached Files:

2. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Poekie,

No, this is not acceptable. Your pictures show quite clearly that the set is at fault. I would get it exchanged for another make altogether. As you say, you are not the first to notice this. I spied one in a shop recently that was the same. Ugly looking thing anyway! Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge Philips fan, but this range of LCD's is just an embarassment to the company.

I would recommend the Sharp 26" LCD's. GA or GD3 or 4's. Fully HDTV ready too. Good reports and a damn site better looking than that Philips T-Tray.

Jimmy

3. Damian1978

Damian1978

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +264
    Blimey and I thought my two Tosh's were bad!

Thats totally unacceptable. Get it returned!

4. MattDJ

MattDJ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Kinda looks like my screen (but seems to be all over it)... The Philips engineer is coming today aswell... hope he can sort it.

5. Poekie

Poekie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I took the pictures in a dark room so the spots in the lower left corner are at their maximum intensity. With natural daylight the spots are hard to detect. However, since I usually watch TV at night, it still remains a problem.

Since almost all 26pf9946 and 26pf9956 screens suffer from this problem, Philips stated that they don not consider it as a design flow and the review of a 26pf9946 screen on this site was very positive I still wonder if I just should accept these bright spots. The shop offered me a refund (very nice service indeed!) but then I need another screen of a different brand that may have the same issues.

Any tips or recommendations on this topic?

6. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Two things to try.

Have you made any adjustments to the settings? Check your Brightness and Contrast settings. I don't know this set intimately, but set your brightness thus:

On the brightness adjustment menu turn the brightness too far down. Now start cranking it up until you notice any black areas on the screen lighten. Turn it back down 5% from here.

Contrast with an LCD is even more critical as this also adjusts the backlight intensity. Turn this down until you notice the blacks going grey and the whites dimming. Start turning the contrast back up. The setting you are looking for is the point just before the White areas start to 'Eat into' the darker areas. This is so difficult to explain. You should end up with a good balance of light and dark areas, where there is still some detail in the black areas and the light areas.
    On most Philips TV's this is approx 60-63 on the graduation.

The second thing you can try is to get your refund and buy the Sharp I mentioned earlier.

Jimmy

7. badmadlad

badmadlad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have been waiting 8 weeks for my 26pf9946 and I got mine finally On Thursday night. What I cant believe is that I had exactly the same problem I took mine back the next day and yesterday got a new one!.

Set it up tonight and same problem... I am so Peed off . I thought it was a bad batch but thank god I found this site!! I think I will cut my losses and go for the Sharp one I think.

Ive been a massive Philips Fan for years but I now have lost my faith and confidence in them over this.

Is it worth speaking to someone high up In Philips if a few of us do it?

Sounds a bit lame, but maybe we can do something?

8. Poekie

Poekie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jimsan, thanks for your advice. I tweaked with the brightness and contrast settings, but the only way to get the bright spots to disappear was to tune up the brightness over 65%, which means all blacks become gray and all spots are covered by this gray mist ….

One thing I noticed is that the screen is ‘massive’ at the back of all corners except for the lower left, where is a big air cap at the back to provide room for cable connection. Maybe the LCD panel isn’t mounted properly to this corner, which causes internal strain/stress and results in backlight bleeding? Since almost everyone is experiencing this defect, it most definitely looks like an error in the production line. Shame on Philips!

Badmadlad, the only thing that we as consumer can do is to hand an official complaint through the Philips service desk and, of course, return the product to the shop. When a large number of screens are returned to de distributors they may tend not to sell them anymore. Numbers count, maybe Philips will listen if they receive many complaints.

In the meanwhile, there is the awkward situation that the Philips 26pf9946/56 screens are currently the only 26” DVI capable screen on the market. Sharp’s 26” GA3E/4E is not available in the (Dutch) shops anymore and has been replaced by the (less advanced) 5E model. As far as I know JVC and Sony also don’t offer a DVI capable 26” LCD TV.

9. badmadlad

badmadlad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry to be Stupid what is DVI? I was in the Shop where i got My TV from and the manager walked with me to see the 23" version . Fotunatley there was a dvd feed with a lot of dark scenes on it and picture was perfect.

May I ask where did you buy yours from? Its annoying isnt it ive been deciding for 6 months and the Philips was the only one I wanted!

10. Poekie

Poekie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    DVI is the digital connection of your screen, you can use it to feed the panel the digital video signal from your pc videocard, or from ultra-modern dvd players or even digital tv (HDMI, but this should be compatible). Anyway, DVI provides the best picture quality if you want to connect the screen to your PC.

If have noticed the 23" version too, however, it uses another LCD panel, one of even an older generation, with slower respons time and different viewing angle. Maybe it doesn't suffer from the leakage problem, but personaly I am looking for a more advanced screen with better picture quality.

I bough my screen at a Dutch electronic shop (not known in UK), for about 1600 EUR/1100 GPD, not as cheap as the Internet stores, but with excellent service.

11. badmadlad

badmadlad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone give me any ideas which ones I should be looking at , my Budget is £1000 and I want to be able to plug pc into it, and 26"?