1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LCD and Sky

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by bjjgann, Nov 17, 2004.

1. bjjgann

bjjgann

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Hello All

I have noticed that with Sky via RGB the picture can some times stall for a brief second, for example when someone’s heads moves. I have crawled the net and found three possible solutions and would be grateful for any advice.

Buy a decent RGB 21 pin connected gold plated RGB scart lead to replace the cheap one I currently use.

Buy a syncblaster cable from Keene and use the VGA in on the TV.

Buy a RGB to Plasma VGA Converter from JS technology.

What should I try, should I start of with a good quality scart lead and see if that fixes it or go straight to a RGB to VGA converter?

Thanks for your thoughts

2. jimg

jimg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    What LCD TV do you have? I have an Aquos and use a good quality Scart cable with Sky+ and the PQ is OK.

3. bjjgann

bjjgann

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I have just bought the 30 inch Goodman’s from Argos for £999
    Incidentally my XBOX runs great through RGB but I did purchase the Microsoft Advanced AV cable

4. viewer

viewer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What Aquos you got - interested in the quality SKY on Aquos 37GD1E

5. jimg

jimg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    What Aquos you got - interested in the quality SKY on Aquos 37GD1E

The 37" GA4E, which is the same screen.

6. jgrg

jgrg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33

I don't think your TV is at fault.

This sounds to me like the kind of problem you get with poor satellite reception. Have a look at your "signal quality" bar, which is buried somewhere in the menus of the sky box. Or your reception might get occasionally interrupted by local interference on the cable between the dish and the box.

James

7. bjjgann

bjjgann

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I had an ADSL router near to the skybox. I have moved it to another room and it seems to have made a big difference. I am still going to buy a decent scart cable from Richer Sounds to see if that helps too. I went to Currys tonight to buy one but the salesman didnt really know what he was talking about.

I will be plugging it in to the sky digibox via a digi sender pass through so would this affect performance do you think? Also I live in flats with a shared dish which may also cause problems although the dish is actually on my flat wall.

ps my sky signal quality looks to be about 65% of the quality bar while strength is about 90%

8. PhilipH

PhilipH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would seriously doubt that an intermittent visual issue such as you describe could in any way be caused by a "low quality" SCART cable ...

... if you don't have a spare SCART cable to hand that you can use to just try (so as to rule it out) then I would suggest just asking a mate if you could borrow one off them for a bit or - if you do buy one - make sure that you can take the cable back to the shop where you bought it if necessary (just so you don't end up with a cable that you don't need).

Phil

9. bjjgann

bjjgann

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Hello All

I have bought a decent shielded gold plated scart form richer sounds and I think its made an improvement although the I haven’t really any real conclusive evidence. The biggest improvement so far seem to have been moving the ADSL cable router to another room. There is still the occasional slight delay for example when a camera pans around a room but it much more bearable than it was.

After trying my laptop on the VGA input (which looked great ) I am considering trying an RGB to VGA converter (link below) What do you all think?

http://www.keene.co.uk/cgi-bin/bigcodesearch.pl?SGB12