1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LCD and Powerstrip

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows' started by chuckalicious, Sep 6, 2005.

1. chuckalicious

chuckalicious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi

I'm sure most of you are aware of Powerstrip, and it's custom 16:9 resolution allowing users of MCE to run a custom VGA-Scart cable to their CRT TVs to get a really decent, true 16:9 output from their ATI Radeon cards.. but I have a question.

I run this setup currently, and it's fantastic, however, I may be about to come into the possesion of a nice LCD TV. It's a Sony, can't remember the model, but it just has scart and VGA inputs, with a max resolution of 1024x768 (not true widescreen). All inputs are run through an external input box, which is in turn connected to the TV.

So what I'd like to know is, would I be able to use Powerstrip to create the same custom resolution for this LCT TV, or would I be better just letting is rejig the picture to 1024x768?

2. hutters

hutters

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Yes.

I have a Pioneer plasma with separate media box. I use Powerstrip to set my custom resolution and then I connect the PC to the media box by DVI > HDMI.

During boot up you will not see the POST because Powerstrip is a Windows application and it sets the Windows resolution, so you may need a second monitor available to use to set up.

3. chuckalicious

chuckalicious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Cool, so I could just use the same powerstrip settings, via VGA - VGA instead of VGA-Scart as I do at the moment.

That would be handy :) Of course, I may not even get this tv!!! Fingers crossed