1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LCD and Home Cinema Setup help....

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Al B, Jul 4, 2005.

1. Al B

Al B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just recently moved into my first house and I have bought a Hitachi 28LD5200E LCD panel, the Cambridge Audio Azur 540V home cinema, and a Pace Sky+ box. I also have an X-Box.

With this being my first house I have zero experience of setting up this kind of equipment for optimum performance, so I was hoping someone could help me with a kinda walk-through idiots guide! :hiya:

All the connections I have are standard with each bit of kit, but speaking as a guitar player I know the difference made by quality cabling, and I also know there are various ways of connecting things together. I just dont know what they are with regards to AV equipment!!

I have a bit of budget left to buy new interconnects/speaker cables etc, and I was wondering if there were any kind souls out there that could give me advice on what cables/connections I should buy and the very best way to connect all four things together (tv, homecinema, sky+, x-box), so I can make the best of the equipment I have bought.

Thanks everyone in advance!

B.

2. hammersmith

hammersmith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    Does your set have component input? It will give you the best picture quality. RGB scart is the next best. one point to note is that neither of these will carry audio to the tv so you will have to hook up the source to an home cinema amp or similar. What do you do more of gaming or movie watching?

if you answer was 'Gaming':
    Is your xbox modded? if so get the microsoft HD kit and some decent component cables and hook it to your tv's component input. You will then need to set the xbox to ntsc mode (google: enigma video switcher) then go into the microsoft dashboard's video settings and tick the modes that your tv supports. e.g. 480p, 720p and 1080i

If it's not modded it's probably best to get the Advanced AV Kit and run it through RGB scart. You can 'hack' the box into ntsc mode with a specific saved games again google will be able to help, or search the gaming forum here!

if your answer was 'Movies':
    hook the dvd player to the tv over component. otherwise use RGB scart.

finally connect the sky box via RGB scart.

ixos and qed make good quality cables anything in the £30-£60 range should do the job nicely. Hope this helps :D

Cheers,
    H

3. Al B

Al B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Yeah mostly movies, and also using it to play cd's. Is there speaker cable thats better than others? I have just standard speaker cable at the moment, but (stupid question alert...) the wires dont seem to be colour coded red/black. The sleeve is transparent and the wires are silver coloured at one side, and copper coloured at the other. Which one goes into the red connector and which goes into the black? Also with it being an all inone dvdplayer/homecinema, how do I get the sound from the tv/sky to come throught the 5.1?

Try not to laugh at me! Haha....

B.

4. hammersmith

hammersmith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    look at the back of the tv and sky box there should be audio outs, 2 rca plugs generally red and white. Get some decent phono leads and connect these to the inputs of your home cinema amp.

As far as speaker cable goes, the colour coding doesn't really matter.The thing is to make sure that the cable you plug into the red output from the amp goes into the red input on your speaker, similarly with the black output/inputs.
    Generally the cabling that comes with hi-fi stuff is fairly poor quality. Check out richer sounds or similar for replacement speaker cabling and phono leads.

Cheers,
    H