1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LCD and Football

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by FruitBat, May 17, 2004.

1. FruitBat

FruitBat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +382
    I've been meaning to ask for opinions on the quality of football on LCD. I've read the reviews which mention the blurring of fast movement due to response times.
    I was in John Lewis yesterday and they were showing highlights of West Ham v Ipswich on the 30" Samsung. I could see no blurring. The source was digital, so there was a ragged look to the edges of players (I get this on my CRT with freeview), but as far as I could see it was a perfectly acceptable picture.
    I think the Samsung is for me. I would prefer the 26" if I can find it anywhere.
    So where is the blurring and "motion trail"? Has it been exaggerated or is my eyesight suspect or have Samsung worked some magic?

2. NeilMcRae

NeilMcRae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    The bigger Samsung screens have better refresh rates but what channel were you watching? This issue tends to be a problem when you watch football on any channel except via the BBC.

Neil.

3. calscot

calscot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    PRCDirect are selling the 26" Samsung for £1166 or you can buy it for £1600 from Comet.

With Dixon's just selling a 27" Logik tv for £999, I'm just waiting for the next round of pricecuts.

4. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,078
    In which case it would be unreasonable to apportion the blame on the LCD. Rather, on the compression used in the signal, which would be evident on any platform.

As stated, the blurring/refresh problem with LCDs is decreasing with every new glass that comes out and, for the large majority of recent sets (especially large ones) is no longer a perceptible issue for TV or DVD viewing.

5. NeilMcRae

NeilMcRae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Sorry wrong wording. It happens on the BBC also but its less noticable owing to the higher bandwidth.

I've yet to find a screen [and believe me I've spent a great deal of time looking] that has dealt with this issue well enough.

Neil.

6. sponshagga

sponshagga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a thomson 27" lcd and i see no discernible blurring watching football, and I watch a lot of football!

7. will-wac

will-wac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I too am looking at LCDs but will probably be going for the Sharp Aquos 37" (also in John Lewis) because the pictures the best I've ever seen!

I checked out the Samsung 26" in John Lewis too and it was better than the other brands on display in that size (Sony, JVC, Toshiba, and Pioneer i think). If you're going for an LCD always play one of those demo CDs with the logo fixed in the corner and check the bleeding on it (if any) because on almost every LCD- even the Wegas it happens- but not once on the Sharps.

Unfortunately the Sharp Aquos range only comes in 20", 22" or 30" sizes (closest to 26"), so my advice is that you look for the bleeding on the Samsung and get John Lewis to play NORMAL TV (not the degraded one usually on display because they split up the signal), and see if that looks grainy, if it passes the test and its good value; get it! :thumbsup: