1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LCD and Euro 2004 !

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Gregorski, Jun 27, 2004.

1. Gregorski

Gregorski
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    A number of people commented recently on this forum that they were planning on buying new LCD TV's before Euro 2004. I am interested now to hear comments about their experiences with sport and LCD.

We all know that the traditional downfall of LCD screens has been the ability to keep up with fast moving pictures due to latency etc. However, the latest generation of larger LCD's (28"+), with much faster response times, are a massive step forward (in my view) on the first generation sets of the last 2 years. (I saw the new Sony 32" which is remarkably better than its 30" predecessor, which admittedly was not the best of the bunch)

I'm watching this technology really carefully for the future.

So how have you found watching Euro 2004 on your new screens ? Any experiences would be interesting.

2. NaTT

NaTT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    I got a terrible nauseous feeling whilst watching Euro 2004 on Thursday evening, but this may have had nothing to do with the picture quality and more the quality of the officials.

3. FruitBat

FruitBat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +382
    At the risk of repeating myself (see Samsung LW26A33W threads)...

I got my Samsung in a bit of a rush because of the footy. I think that the picture is OK (watchable but not perfect) for sport. BBC is better than ITV on both analog and digital (ITV analog being the worst). Digital has the usual problems ("tearing" around the players outlines) but this is the same on a CRT. The worst motion trail I've seen is on one of the cheaper LCDs at Dixons (Thompson or Goodmans) showing tennis. The trail on the ball went from one side of the court to the other. My Samsung seems to cope much better - I can't see a trail.

Most of these imperfections are only noticable if you really look for them. It didn't spoil my disappointment with the football at all.

A final note. I've seen a lot of people in shops peering at large TVs from short distances. On this 26", I reckon you need to be more than 1.5 - 2 metres away to avoid seeing artefacts etc.

4. spiider

spiider
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got a Sharp 20" LC-20S1E for £550 .... it's a 4/3 screen but works great ! Football is ok... it's not as great as a CRT but very close...