1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LCD analogue reception views

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by bassman92, Aug 13, 2005.

1. bassman92

bassman92

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello to you all :hiya:

I could do with some users opinions an a few LCD's I'm considering.

My main use will be for the viewing the 5 terrestiral channels plus freeview. I'm not interested in Sport, nor will I pay the ridiculous fee for Sky to watch repeats. I tend to rent one DVD or so a month.

So, my quandry is at the moment whether to go for just a "normal" TV such as the Sony KLV-32M1 at 999 from Richer sounds, or the Sharp LC-32GA5E for about the same price, or "future proof" things with either the Samsung LE32R41BDX or JVC LT-32DS6 ( a bit more than I really want to spend), although this may be a waste of money unless the beeb or channel four et al start something HD on satellite before the big switch off.

I saw the Sony at my local Co-op and it looked very good considering it was fed off and aerial supplying 50 tv's, and had a look at comet at the Samsung (not terrific with either freeview or analogue) but outstanding with HD, and could only find the JVC D50 to look at and that was ok but not brilliant.

I guess that all of the analouge picture problems are due to the crap signal in these retailers but would like to know the views of anyone who has these sets and uses them for normal analogue TV viewing as I have a good strong analogue signal.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Al

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,032
    Although I can't answer your question - I can ask another, which is, if you intend to use Freeview, then why are you even concerned about analog reception? Freeview carries channels 1:5 as well as the extra ones, digitally, and, often, in 16x9 (widescreen) format. In pretty well every way, better to watch than analog (assuming you have a clean signal).

3. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    Well, the Sharp GA5 is last year's model, and being replaced this month by the GA6 - so price wise, you're likely to get the new one at a similar cost to what RS are asking you for it. Check www.pricerunner.co.uk
    Also, consider the Sharp P50 if HD (even though it will do HD material) isn't of interest in the long term, but bear in mind that the average TV is replaced on a 5 yearly timeframe, you'll need to think if HD in 3 years time won't be of interest still, or will it?
    JVC is another well regarded TV, especially in its latest form - DS6.
    I've a Sharp GD1 on loan for a few weeks, and with analog RF, the image is more than acceptable, via NTL.