1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LCD advice

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by chris_h, Jul 3, 2005.

1. chris_h

chris_h
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My dad is looking for a good value for money LCD screen.

It looks like the Tevion/Aldi 32 inch is pretty popular. Can someone advise where the best place to buy in the UK is?? (Couldnt find this when had a quick look at the 58 pages of replies!)

A 28 inch would actually suffice but have a feeling the Tevion would be cheaper than most of the 28 inchers. Can anyone recommend a good VFM 28 incher that is currently available.

2. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    LCDs only come in 26/32/36 (for main TV viewing, there are others under and over these sizes of course).
    The Tevion is made for Aldi, so the only place you can pick them up is at an Aldi store.
    Is the TV to replace the current main one or for use as a secondary Tv elsewhere in the house?
    If it's the primary TV, then I'd really suggest you wait until Aug/Sept before buying anything, as most manufacturers will have their new models out by then, and prices will be competitive. These new models will be likely set-up to accomodate Hi-Def, which means they will be futureproofed (in essence).
    Even if HD is not planned for by yourselves, having it available is better than not, as your plans may change sooner than you think.

Whilst we can all recommend one brand or model over others, really, you or your father has to bother doing the legwork of going to a local dealer and looking at them for yourselves. Don't rush into buying the first one you see at the right price - as a long term investment (3-5 years, if not longer) you want to get the one that's right for you now and some years down the line.
    Main thing to look for is resolution of 1366x768 (true widescreen 16:9, not 15:9 which 1280x720 is), sub 16ms pixel response, 500:1 contrast and 300+ brightness - these are subjective, since there are "tricks" the manufacturer can pull when quoting the measured results.
    Bottom line - whilst you may know diddlysquat about the technical side of the TVs, you've been using your eyes for all your life - trust what they tell you, an use the numbers as purely guideline tools, and not the measuring stick. The eyes don't lie, numbers can be manipulated to delude you into believing something is better than it actualy is!

3. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,032
    Not correct. Both of these are true widescreen, 16x9 (or as near as makes no difference). The most often seen "wrong" one is, in fact, 1280x768. 1280x720 is actually a good match for High Definition signals - better than 1366x768.

Whilst I agree with the rest of what pjskel says - in particular the bit about using your eyes, I have to add that typically, stuff sold by Aldi is actually very good value, and that, in common with other supermarkets, if you do have problems, they do seem to be more than willing to simply give you a refund (more so, I think, than most true electronics retailers).

As for waiting - well yes, true - but then it's always true than something newer, better, cheaper is just around the corner. The right time to buy is when these three factors come into balance:

Price
    Feature/Spec/Size (etc)
    Your patience.

So, if you want to buy now, and you want to buy inexpensive, then go for it.

4. chris_h

chris_h
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys. Really helpful stuff there.

My dad's patience is virtually non-existant (a bit like mine) so think he will buy sooner rather than later !!!