1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LCD advice-techno numpty

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by andy4758, Feb 7, 2005.

1. andy4758

andy4758

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :lease: :confused: :rolleyes: Another new to the site.
    I have just bought a Denon DHT550SD to go with my Bose Accoustimass 6 surround speaker system( Dont blame me , the missus wanted the smallest speakers possible). I have just ordered Sky+ and am getting concerned with all the talk of HDTV/HDMI etc. What I want to know is;-
    a) how best to connect the sky through the Denon receiver/amp,

b) how best to connect the dvd and the receiver to an LCD

c) advice on LCD's between 26" and 32"

d) will the Denon receiver improve picture quality and best connections/cables to use please :

2. Eddy Boy

Eddy Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    The receiver can not improve picture quality.
    What connection does your LCD have? Or are you going to buy one based one these answers?
    The best connection on the DVD is Component with progressive scan.
    With Sky + HD TV will be carried via HDMI due to its conveniance and ability to carry picture and sound up DVD-A level also the HDCP copy protection.
    In the wrost case scenario go to your TV with HDMI from Sky and Component from the DVD. Then take a optical lead from sky and a co-axial lead from DVD to the amp fro your audio.

3. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hi Andy,

Before I tackle the nitty gritty, why did you get the Denon DHT550 when you already had all the speakers you need? The Bose speakers, by the way are probably not as good as the Denon ones that you got with the 550 anyway!

a) Connect your Sky+ to the Denon with an Optical lead.
    b) As Eddy Boy says, it depends on what TV you get. Assuming you show great taste and get a Philips 32PF9986 (for example) you would connect the Denon via Component cable (via adapter into DVI socket) and also via Scart to Ext2.

c) I can only recommend the 9986 as mentioned above as this is the TV I plumped for after a rediculous amount of research!

c) No particular picture improvements are available with this Denon. Some can upgrade some signals, but not in this case.

You'll need two or three good Scarts. 1 optical cable. 1 or 2 Phono leads. 1 Component lead.

I get mine at www.tvcables.co.uk They do excellent cables for silly money. (£5.99 for a good Scart!)

Hope this helps.

Jimmy

4. andy4758

andy4758

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes it does, and thank you both. I had the Bose speakers as my significant other does not like speakers or wires and she had seen the denon ones and didn't like them. I had the Bose to go with an old technics seperates system and and I was given the advice by frank Harvey Hi-fi that the 550 would be the best to go with the speakers and sold me the system without the surround speakers at a reasonable price. Any way I tried to decipher the pseudo taiwanese english in the manual and couldn't work out which was best for what. At the moment the receiver connects to the dvd with a toslink? optical lead and the dvd to the tv (old JVC) via scart. The sky box is connected to the receiver with the red and white RVCA?. Sky+ is being installed tomorrow and I am actively seeking the right lCD but the problem seems to be reading too many of the threads on here, I get one set in my mind and then someone rips it to bits. I just want something with a good picture and decent sound. thanks both for the help, I appreciate it and the link for the cables