Lcd above storage heater, advisable or not?

D

DJBIGJAY

Noob here been sent over from DVD Forums.
Now bit of a stupid question but would it be ok to put my Samsung lcd above the storage heater in my lounge.
At present there is a shelf over the heater which deflects hot air out into room. I have also thought about putting a radiator cabinet over the heater too.
I have also thought about not using the heater at all just so i can place the LCd in that location.
I have seen on a few install sites LCD's over radiator cabinets.
I might carry out a test too to see how hot the wall gets above the heater.
Any advice and experince would be great.
Of course i would imagine that it will be a no go but i thought i would just ask the question.

Oh and Hi to all.

peahead

hi

do like you said get the heater upto temp and then check with your hand were your lcd will be placed how much heat is produced there plus you have to take into account the heat produced by your lcd aswell.

onefivenine

I wouldn't recommend it. I had a large clipframe with photographs inside above a storage heater. after a few months it was really badly warped. The heat goes straight up at it - not like being above a real fire which has a chimney.

ianh64

One to avoid I think. Apart from the heat, soot caused by dust thrown up from convection will make the screen dirty and difficult to clean.

F

freekb

DJBIGJAY said:
Noob here been sent over from DVD Forums.
Now bit of a stupid question but would it be ok to put my Samsung lcd above the storage heater in my lounge.

Best not to do it - basic rule of thumb for all form of electronics is that heat kills. Or to put it differently, mild heat is likely to shorten the lifespan, a lot of heat is likely to kill it off very quickly.

This is because of a phenomenon called 'electromigration', where the electrons in the metallic parts (wires if you like) in an electronic device 'move around' resulting in either short circuits or gaps in the circuits. This only happens when the device is powered on/standby, because it requires a combination of heat and electricity.

D

DJBIGJAY

freekb said:
Best not to do it - basic rule of thumb for all form of electronics is that heat kills. Or to put it differently, mild heat is likely to shorten the lifespan, a lot of heat is likely to kill it off very quickly.

This is because of a phenomenon called 'electromigration', where the electrons in the metallic parts (wires if you like) in an electronic device 'move around' resulting in either short circuits or gaps in the circuits. This only happens when the device is powered on/standby, because it requires a combination of heat and electricity.

cheers mate, good info. I might just put it above heater and not use the heater.
The house is quite warm and i can probably live without one heater.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom